Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2017

newDemo.gif

demo2.gif

This project is on GitHub. https://github.com/maculateConception/aural-player

App download link (download, mount dmg file, and run)

Compatibility: Supports OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) or later. Older versions of OS X not supported (Sorry!)

Hello, I wrote an audio player app for macOS, that I call "Aural". If you feel like trying it out, you'll find the latest source code, app bundle, and documentation at the GitHub link above.

I will try to post any updates here as they happen, but please check GitHub for the latest and greatest on this project.

Last edited:

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2017
I made some significant updates (and updated the attached files in my original post, accordingly):

New feature: Now allows current playlist to be saved to a file and loaded
Other feature update: All sliders now provide continuous feedback (as you slide them). Don't have to wait to release a slider for it to take effect.

New look n feel !
- Customized look and feel of all slider knobs (no more boring white circles)
- Customized look and feel of pop up buttons and menus (EQ presets and reverb)

Also, ...
- Updated and better organized the user guide
- Removed duplicate icon files from the ZIP archive posted here, cutting its size in half !

Last edited:

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2017
Ok, I added a few more things (attached files updated accordingly):

- Detailed track info: Upon clicking the "i" (more info) button in the top right corner, a popover appears, displaying detailed track information such as file name and size, format, bit rate, sample rate, album, genre, copyrights, etc.

- Added a safety feature: A daemon task that keeps an eye on memory usage and kills the app if memory usage spikes up to an unsafe level

- Added a horizontal line/bar across the center of all EQ sliders, for easy visual reference to the 0dB gain level

- Fixed a few minor UI bugs

Last edited:

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2017
Major rewrite (ZIPs updated):

- Fixed a serious memory leak issue caused by playing MP3 files with inaccurate duration metadata. Now works directly with audio buffers as opposed to using the scheduleFile/scheduleSegment APIs that can't play broken MP3s.
- Implemented lazy loading (in stages) of track info, to significantly speed up app loading
- Major code refactoring: Added a new third layer, a middleman/facade between the AppDelegate and Player, to greatly simplify both the player and AppDelegate.

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2017
A few more updates ...

- Reorganized the effects controls into a tabbed group view with 3 items: EQ, Pitch Shift, and Reverb. Reverb and Pitch Shift panels display descriptions of the respective sound effects.
- Added an EQ global gain / preamp control slider
- Added a control slider for Reverb amount (wet/dry mix)
- Added a control slider for Pitch overlap
- Added 4 new Reverb presets
- Modified the EQ slider knobs and other slider knobs' look n feel

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Have you looked at using git to as your Version Control System (VCS)? There are ones out there like GitHub that you can host this on and people can pull down your code that way but also contribute back in an easier manner by submitting pull requests.

Reactions: thasan and 0002378

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2017
Have you looked at using git to as your Version Control System (VCS)? There are ones out there like GitHub that you can host this on and people can pull down your code that way but also contribute back in an easier manner by submitting pull requests.

Hey, yes, absolutely. I've thought about hosting it on Github, but I'm just lazy about that, I guess :)

But, now that you mention it, I will try to set it up there, instead.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Hey, yes, absolutely. I've thought about hosting it on Github, but I'm just lazy about that, I guess :)

But, now that you mention it, I will try to set it up there, instead.
Makes more sense too. You can provide a license and standards there. And start trying to build a community of developers to help you support it. :cool:

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2017
Makes more sense too. You can provide a license and standards there. And start trying to build a community of developers to help you support it. :cool:

Done ! I've put the GitHub link in my original post up top. Thanks for getting me to actually do it :)

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2017
Nice job.

Hey, thanks for the feedback !

Yes, I've programmed for many years in Java, so I'm not totally new to programming :D Just Swift and OS X programming.

So, you messed with the code and added more features ? I'd love to hear about them. If you'd like, you could create a separate branch on the GitHub repository, with your name, and drop your changes in there. I'm also new to GitHub, so I don't know - can anyone modify my (public) repository or do you need me to create a new branch if needed ?

Thanks for dropping by !

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Hey, thanks for the feedback !

Yes, I've programmed for many years in Java, so I'm not totally new to programming :D Just Swift and OS X programming.

So, you messed with the code and added more features ? I'd love to hear about them. If you'd like, you could create a separate branch on the GitHub repository, with your name, and drop your changes in there. I'm also new to GitHub, so I don't know - can anyone modify my (public) repository or do you need me to create a new branch if needed ?

Thanks for dropping by !

I'd like to try making a skin/theme for it - and perhaps that way learn to code a little(doesn't make sense that way but that's how it's going to be). It's going to take a while for me because I haven't got much if any real programming skills. I took the whole thing down in one swoop off of your Github page and hope to look throught the code that way. I need to make the skin first and then put the buttons where they ought to be. When I have something worthwhile then information will drop here.

One thing I'd like Aural to possibly have is a recursive way of looking at iTunes' Music folder. It's not a big deal as I can just Spotlight all the files I need and drag them in that way.

I edited my last post to edit out some questions about your prior coding experience - that gave it away that I wasn't looking at your GitHub page at the time of writing. It's only within the last couple of minutes that I've been active with your App. I like that everything is packaged in easy-to-get-to folders. The background should be ok to change then.

Reactions: 0002378

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2017
I'd like to try making a skin/theme for it - and perhaps that way learn to code a little(doesn't make sense that way but that's how it's going to be). It's going to take a while for me because I haven't got much if any real programming skills. I took the whole thing down in one swoop off of your Github page and hope to look throught the code that way. I need to make the skin first and then put the buttons where they ought to be. When I have something worthwhile then information will drop here.

One thing I'd like Aural to possibly have is a recursive way of looking at iTunes' Music folder. It's not a big deal as I can just Spotlight all the files I need and drag them in that way.

I edited my last post to edit out some questions about your prior coding experience - that gave it away that I wasn't looking at your GitHub page at the time of writing. It's only within the last couple of minutes that I've been active with your App. I like that everything is packaged in easy-to-get-to folders. The background should be ok to change then.

Great ! Yes, I would love for Aural to have a better UI :D I'm more of a back end developer, so UI was never my strong point ! So, feel free to come up with something nicer to look at :)

In fact, I was just about to add a "open folder" feature, which would allow the user to select a directory when adding files to the playlist. Selecting a folder would result in the recursive behavior you mentioned.

Yes, please feel free to make whatever changes you want. You can then either fork the main branch into your own repo, or I can create a branch on my own repo.

Let me know when you have something. And thanks for taking the time and interest in this :) Or should I say "Tak".

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2017
It looks very nice music player app.
Any chance to make it available and run on Mavericks?

Hi, thanks for your message.

I'm not sure how to do that, but I will take a look to see if it is possible. Some of the code, I think, requires at least 10.10 (Yosemite), but let me take a look and get back to you.

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2017
Added a time stretch feature to allow a change in playback rate

Time.png

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2017
I was going to try this feature - the latest Aural build that you include in the package over at Github crash with each launch. Would you like to have the crash report sent over via Github?

Thanks for letting me know.

No need for a crash report. I know why this is happening. The format of the JSON config file has changed (it needs one new data element: "time", for the new feature). The fix is easy. Quit Aural player, go to your Documents folder, and delete the auralPlayer-state.json file. Then, restart your app ... fixed !

P.S. You will only need to do this once. I will make the app more resilient to app config file changes in the future.

abcdefg12345

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2013
This looks like a really nice player to use instead of vlc, can you update it for swift 3, i can't build it on Xcode 8.3.3

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2017
This looks like a really nice player to use instead of vlc, can you update it for swift 3, i can't build it on Xcode 8.3.3

Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately, I'm limited by my hardware (and hence my OS) ... I'm on a 2009 Macbook Pro running Yosemite (I can't do El Cap for app compatibility reasons), so I cannot go any higher than Swift v2.1.1. Sorry about that !

I would love to be able to use Swift 3, trust me :(

Reactions: abcdefg12345

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Thanks for letting me know.

No need for a crash report. I know why this is happening. The format of the JSON config file has changed (it needs one new data element: "time", for the new feature). The fix is easy. Quit Aural player, go to your Documents folder, and delete the auralPlayer-state.json file. Then, restart your app ... fixed !

P.S. You will only need to do this once. I will make the app more resilient to app config file changes in the future.

I read this too late. You received a report yesterday(apologizes all around). I'll go and close that one up - or you can close it as resolved or something :) Also, I've been dabbling with what I'd like to see Aural have for a skin/theme - it's been through some various iterations(still all over the place) and I think I might have misunderstood the concept as a whole. I honestly do not know what my "WinAMP" skin will be to you :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.