Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
Just wondering since I've been patiently waiting for my nMP to be shipped, if the Austin plant runs 24/7 or 9-5 so I can know whether or not to check status at night. Anybody know?

lemonade-maker

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
how would anyone know this?

They work there or have some association.

I think the question should be, why would anyone answer this assuming they have the knowledge? Most of the jobs I've had in these environments had a non disclosure that would cost me my job.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
Ummm, maybe somebody knows someone who works there and know they go in at 5 and work the nightshift. Not a big deal. Is the parking lot empty at night? Not hard.

echoout

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Austin, Texas
If it's like the other manufacturing facilities here in Austin, they don't turn off the machines and switch off the lights at the end of the day. I know a lot more about semiconductor manufacturing than Mac Pros. My dad was involved in the manufacturing of the G3 and G4 processors as part of the Advanced Products Research and Development at Motorola in the 90s and he had to go put out little fires at night and even was interrupted to go to work as he was carving the Thanksgiving turkey one year.

I have colleagues at IBM, NI, AMD, Freescale, Applied Materials, etc. and they're all 24/7 plants as far as I know.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
Maybe a better way to put it is if anyone here had their order change to preparing for shipping after 5.

lemonade-maker

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
If it's like the other manufacturing facilities here in Austin, they don't turn off the machines and switch off the lights at the end of the day. I know a lot more about semiconductor manufacturing than Mac Pros. My dad was involved in the manufacturing of the G3 and G4 processors as part of the Advanced Products Research and Development at Motorola in the 90s and he had to go put out little fires at night and even was interrupted to go to work as he was carving the Thanksgiving turkey one year.

I have colleagues at IBM, NI, AMD, Freescale, Applied Materials, etc. and they're all 24/7 plants as far as I know.

Do you (or your dad) have drones?

echoout

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Austin, Texas
Do you (or your dad) have drones?

My dad could build a drone. Just give him his coffee cans of random parts, a six pack of beer and some country music and he's all set.

He DID run a major portion of the Tactical Reconnaissance Wing at Bergstrom AFB and could program F-4, F-111 and other flight simulators using weird old analog components, so who knows. :D

lemonade-maker

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
My dad could build a drone. Just give him his coffee cans of random parts, a six pack of beer and some country music and he's all set.

He DID run a major portion of the Tactical Reconnaissance Wing at Bergstrom AFB and could program F-4, F-111 and other flight simulators using weird old analog components, so who knows. :D

Your dad sounds awesome.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Though I don't have info on the workhours of the Austin factory, I think they are still on a 9-5 workhours. If to go on a 24/7 workhours, that entails a higher production costs and Apple would need to evaluate its balance sheet. That would need more employees on 2 to 3 workshifts, higher operational costs like electricity etc. and maybe the shortage of supply may just be short term

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho

I agree with lemonade-maker - Your dad sounds awesome (except for the country music part). Forget the drone, maybe HE can make our Mac Pro's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.