Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
After Paul Stoddarts little escapade prior to the Australian GP, it would now appear that the whole future of Australia's participation in ANY future World Championship motor sport event is in doubt.

Way to go Stoddart... :rolleyes:

Official FIA Statement

Better article here! Bernie wants him out as well!

'Yesterday, a Judge in Melbourne issued an injunction ordering that two cars be allowed to run in Saturday’s practice sessions notwithstanding that they did not comply with the regulations for the 2005 FIA Formula One World Championship. The team concerned subsequently announced that it had withdrawn the proceedings and presented cars which complied.

The Stewards of the Australian Grand Prix and the FIA were given no notice of these proceedings and were given no opportunity to be present when the Judge heard the case. A hearing which the FIA could attend was scheduled for 1415 hrs after the sessions had taken place.

Apparently the Judge thought it right to interfere with the running of a major sporting event, overrule the duly appointed international officials and compel the governing body to allow cars to participate in breach of the international regulations, all this without first hearing both sides of the case.

If Australian laws and procedures do indeed allow a Judge to act in this way, it will be for the World Motor Sport Council to decide if a World Championship motor sport event of any kind can ever again be held in Australia.'

The sooner F1 is rid of Stoddart, the better. He's a complete disgrace to the sport for all of his actions in the lead up to this weekends Australian Grand Prix.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
iGav said:
After Paul Stoddarts little escapade prior to the Australian GP, it would now appear that the whole future of Australia's participation in ANY future World Championship motor sport event is in doubt.

Way to go Stoddart... :rolleyes:

Official FIA Statement

Better article here! Bernie wants him out as well!

The sooner F1 is rid of Stoddart, the better. He's a complete disgrace to the sport for all of his actions in the lead up to this weekends Australian Grand Prix.

Hmmm...no Australian GP? Could be interesting - maybe means they could fit in Russia, India...

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
iGav said:
What about all the other stuff he's tried to pull in his time at Minardi? Every time his team screws up, he goes crying to someone. It's embarrasing to watch.
He's just a scabby git who believes since he has a small budget, he deserves favours and special treatment.
MOFS said:
Hmmm...no Australian GP? Could be interesting - maybe means they could fit in Russia, India...
Yeah, but... Australia? :(

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
The Australian GP is a great track - I'd hate to see it go, especially as the Ozzies love their motorsport. I also don't like the way F1 is heading - these new tracks (i.e. Bahrain, Malaysia, China, Turkey) are all well and good but they're all purpose built with superb facilities, but they are bland, dull and the track layouts are all the same. This just seems like another excuse to get rid of the old great circuits (even though Melbourne is relatively new to the calendar).

But I now see why Paul Stoddart had such as sudden and drastic change of heart.

It would be a shame to see the Minardis disappear from the grid - I was sad to see Eddie Jordan go - but Paul Stoddart has got to watch what he's doing. Bernie Ecclestone makes no attempt to hide the fact that he's not a big fan of him.

On a more positive note, I thought last night's qualifying (watched live of course :p ) was actually decent, although I don't know if that was just because of the weather. Oops, hope I haven't spoilt anything for the re-run watchers!

Looking forward to the race, whether it's here to stay or its days are numbered!

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
iGav said:

totally agree here. they should let him go.

I watched the quali as well, and although they were entartaining, I think that these rules are heavily flawed. They have to provide a window of time for the teams to react to significant changes in weather. As is is ludicrous. The grid was basically decided at random, the second session will be pretty much useless. let's hope crap like this doesn't happen frequently.

it probably makes for interesting races to have the good cars start in the back, but it's unfair and contrary to the history and spirit of F1. otherwise they could as well elimminate the qualis and use the reverse order of the championship standings.

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
all moto sport lost?
i doubt the motogp would be lost from phillip island (just yet anyway...the riders love it).
no loose cannons like stoddart in motogp.
if better offers are coming in to stage f1 it wont take much to drop a country for a new one.
the motogp has dropped a few tracks/countries recently.
qatar was added last year, china and turkey this year.
if the offers are good they'll move.
it wont take things like the stoddart/minardi move.
but they now have a good reason to drop it.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
brap said:
What about all the other stuff he's tried to pull in his time at Minardi? Every time his team screws up, he goes crying to someone. It's embarrasing to watch.

I know don't get me started... :mad:

I know he saved Minardi from going under in 2000? and he deserves some respect for that, but ever since... :rolleyes:

His cap in hand attitude is offensive to great teams that struggled in the past, but still went under... atleast they did it with a degree of dignity. I still maintain that I fail to see why Minardi deserve any special dispensation, when F1 has lost greater teams in the past.

His attitude and behaviour this weekend has been nothing short of disgusting. Not only focusing on blaming one team for him not being able to run his 2004 spec cars (only later to turn up that said team had nothing to do with it) but also failing to mention that 2 other teams didn't support him, and then what can only be described as lying about not having 2005 spec cars until Imola.

The sooner Minardi is taken over by someone with the finances to stabilise the team the better.

Don't panic said:
I watched the quali as well, and although they were entartaining, I think that these rules are heavily flawed. They have to provide a window of time for the teams to react to significant changes in weather. As is is ludicrous. The grid was basically decided at random, the second session will be pretty much useless. let's hope crap like this doesn't happen frequently.

Exactly how I feel, I'm really looking forward to the race tomorrow as the way the grid has been muddled should provide some excellent overtaking, but the flaw in qualifying is obvious to all, for example Schumacher didn't have time to switch to extreme wets and that is a safety issue... his lap was an awesome display in car control and with some wicked oversteer but he was on the wrong tyre because there wasn't enough time to fit the proper rubber and that is dangerous, we only have to see what happened to Sato to realise how bad those conditions were.

Don't panic said:
it probably makes for interesting races to have the good cars start in the back, but it's unfair and contrary to the history and spirit of F1. otherwise they could as well elimminate the qualis and use the reverse order of the championship standings.

Bingo. ;)

748s said:
all moto sport lost?
i doubt the motogp would be lost from phillip island (just yet anyway...the riders love it). no loose cannons like stoddart in motogp.

Does MotoGP come under the World Motor Sport Council? if it does then yes it'd be affected, regardless of what the riders think... World Championship motorsport of ANY kind would be pulled from Australia. :eek: :(

Stoddarts actions this weekend have caused serious ramifications, how serious though we're just going to have to wait and see.

What a t*t he is though... :rolleyes:

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
There will always be international motorsport in Australia.

The FIA threatened to pull the World Rally from Wales due to the police setting up speed traps around the areas holding stages.
Several drivers were caught speeding and fined.

Last year the rally was a non scoring rally and there were less police cameras. This year it's back to full championship status.

Basically the FIA don't like other people f*cking with their sh*t and will say that they'll pull everything unless outsiders lay off.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
iGav said:
Does MotoGP come under the World Motor Sport Council? if it does then yes it'd be affected, regardless of what the riders think... World Championship motorsport of ANY kind would be pulled from Australia. :eek: :(

MotoGP's governing body is the FiM (Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme) not the FiA (Federation Internationale de l'Automobile)
So I doubt Max and his buddies could pull MotoGP from Australia.
I think Mr Doohan would pay them a personal visit if they tried.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
bartelby said:
Basically the FIA don't like other people f*cking with their sh*t

And they especially don't like Stoddart f*****g with the sh*t! :p :p :p

Can't blame them though... what Stoddart done was unbelievable, the sooner Minardi are taken over by someone with both the funds, and the attitude to take Minardi forward the better.

bartelby said:
MotoGP's governing body is the FiM (Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme) not the FiA (Federation Internationale de l'Automobile)

Yep, I know that... I was just wondering if they came under the World Motor Sport Council like the FiA does.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
At first I was a bit peeved at the idea of an underfunded team being penalized - then I watched Stoddart's little press conference on race day. What an A**hole! The man completely made an fool of himself and his team, besides starting a motor racing controversy of international proportions. Way to go. :rolleyes:

"Uh oh, I'm in trouble now, better whip out the '05 spec cars that I had all along." He must think we ALL fell of the turnip truck.

The sooner he's out the better. to quote my namesake, "He's about as effective as a catflap in an elephant house". :D

RealDeal

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2004
ex-McLaren guy

yup used to be the marketing mgr guy for McLaren F1 (about C$5 mill for an F1 team electronics system(engine-chassis-gearbox)), when we won the world and drivers championship 98/99.

Also OZ citizen and lived there 6 years as a kid.

Bottom line - F1 matters globally (unlike cheapo-US-CART) with the best drivers, technology and circuits.

OZ matters- they almost kicked US-butt with recent olympics depsite being 5% of the population with less budget.

This turn of events not good..even if the guy is being an a**hole..

RealDeal

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2004
ex-McLaren guy

yup used to be the marketing mgr guy for McLaren F1 (about C$5 mill for an F1 team electronics system(engine-chassis-gearbox)), when we won the world and drivers championship 98/99.

Also OZ citizen and lived there 6 years as a kid.

Bottom line - F1 matters globally (unlike cheapo-US-CART) with the best drivers, technology and circuits.

OZ matters- they almost kicked US-butt with recent olympics depsite being 5% of the population with less budget.

This turn of events not good....

Palomino

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2005
Adelaide, South Australia
I doubt Perth will lose it's round of the WRC Regarded as one of the preimer events of the calander, or Surfers Paradise the Indy 300.

I Doubt Melbourne will lose it's GP in a hurry, though SA never should have sold it to the Vic's.

Jordan

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I like Stoddart and I like Minardi, but I didn't know before all the fuss they actually had 2005 spec cars near enough ready.
I think they're pushing things a bit far now.

Having looked around on t'web a bit, the World Council is always referred to as the FIA's World Motorsports Council.
So I don't think they affect the FIM.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Lord Blackadder said:
At first I was a bit peeved at the idea of an underfunded team being penalized

I don't think that being underfunded is an excuse for not complying with regulations though, especially when an other team with a similar budget managed okay.

Like any sport though a criteria must be met and if for whatever reason you cannot comply with that criteria then one shouldn't participate in that sport.

Lord Blackadder said:
What an A**hole! The man completely made an fool of himself and his team, besides starting a motor racing controversy of international proportions. Way to go.

I didn't see that interview... was it really that bad? errr I mean good? :D It irks me though that he's dragging the Minardi name down on this current crusade of his. :rolleyes:

RealDeal said:
yup used to be the marketing mgr guy for McLaren F1

Wowser... :eek: an ex-McLaren employee. :) you still in F1?

Palomino said:
I doubt Perth will lose it's round of the WRC Regarded as one of the preimer events of the calander, or Surfers Paradise the Indy 300.

They could lose the WRC, but not Indy (or any other U.S. race series) as Champcar, IRL etc have nothing to do with the FIA.

I very much doubt that Oz will lose it's World Championship status, but I am expecting the FIA to go on a collision course with the Australian legal system to stop people like Stoddart bring the sport into disrepute.

bartelby said:
but I didn't know before all the fuss they actually had 2005 spec cars near enough ready.

What I couldn't figure out is why Stoddart was saying that he didn't have 2005 spec cars, when over winter he had been winter testing 2005 spec cars. :confused:

I don't understand why he was blaming Ferrari when they actually had nothing to do with it, yet ignored 2 other teams who were rumoured not to want to allow Minardi to run 2004 spec cars.

All I hope is that Minardi are taken over by someone with the finance and desire to take Minardi forward and make them more competitive, because Stoddart seems hell bent on destroying that team.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.