Australian buying MBP - cworld.com.au?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alt75, Nov 2, 2008.

1. alt75 macrumors member

I've decided to get the Unibody 2.53 MBP with an upgrade to the 320GB 7200rpm drive. Was planning on getting it from the Apple store (AU) online but a quick search on staticice.com.au brought up the website www.cworld.com.au, which isn't exactly an unknown company in Melbourne, although I personally haven't bought from them before.

They quote the 2.53MBP for $3599.10:
    http://www.cworld.com.au/product_info.php?ID=140447
    I assume it's the standard 5400rpm rather than 7200rpm drive but that's not a big deal and even if it is the standard drive, it's still $400 cheaper than the apple store!

To me, this makes alarm bells ring and red flags wave furiously, given all other apple resellers online discount by $75-100 at most.

I'm actually living in the UK at the moment but heading back home for a fortnight in two weeks time, so can save quite a bit by buying at home and getting GST back. I'm naturally suspicious and therefore a little hesitant to buy from them, especially given I only have a week or so in which to sort out any problems that might arise if they fail to deliver or something. They do have a physical store in Melbourne but I am going to be in Queensland, so that's not much good either.

Does anyone have any experience buying from them? I recall reading some things about them being dodgy but when I google them now I can't really find anything too damning, apart from some commentary about them having poor in-store customer service (on whirlpool forums). Personally I don't care if the guy is rude if it saves me $400. As long as I get the machine! And if anything goes wrong with it I will be bringing it back to the Apple store in London anyway.

Interested to hear what you people think!

2. forth-man macrumors newbie

Hi mate

I have bought a HP printer from them earlier in the year, I didnt have too much problems with them with the printer - though a printer is certainly no MBP.

Picked it up at their office which is essentially a small room inside a building. I dont think there will be much use going there because u wont be able to see anything (no shelves with products or the likes...)

not sure if this helps but good luck with ur apple purchase :)