Australian iPhone 4 ripoff !!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by offshoresa65s, Oct 21, 2010.

1. offshoresa65s macrumors member

Hi

At the moment the Australian dollar is worth about $0.98 - $0.99 $US Dollars

In other words, we here in Australia are waiting for our dollar to be worth parity soon and some pundits are predicting that the A$ will be worth US$1.20 in near future.

If I purchase a a 32GB iPhone 4 here in Australia the current store price is A$999, yep a grand!

I have a 2008 MacPro and that cost around AU$5500. Yep, it does make one's dedication to all things apple hard over here.

On the USA apple website the iPhone 32GB iPhone 4 price in US$ is US$299

So, is it possible for a USA iPhone 4 32 GB to work here in Australia?

I know the power cord plug is different, but you can buy buy power cord adapters.

However, we use 240v mains power v USA 110v mains power.

Anyway, has anyone managed to buy a USA iPhone and get the it working here in OZ?

I am currently using an iPhone 3G

Cheers

O

2. Insilin1i macrumors regular

The Canadian iPhone would work since it is unlocked if you pay full price, the american one would not. My iPhone charger says 120V to 240V so I think all their chargers probably do work in that range to.

3. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

It would work if you jailbroke and unlocked it. But remember that the $299 is for ON-contract only. Otherwise you would have to pay full price which is $700 USD I believe. Still a better deal than the Australian price.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Oh FFS this again. :mad:

The US price is the carrier-subsidised cost when locked in to a new 2 year contract.

The AU price is outright, unlocked. You cannot make a US iPhone work in Australia without jailbreaking and unlocking. An iPhone purchased through Apple in Australia is factory unlocked and can be used with any carrier and any plan.

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

You'd think someone with a $5500 machine would know how these numbers work out.

I guess the OP hasn't seen all those FREE iPhone 4 16GB ads that Optus was doing? I think the OP should rename the thread to 'US iPhone 4 ripoff !!!!'. Now once you've made the connection I hope you have, you'll have gone, 'aaaah that's why'.

My point being: please, please we have been given this thing that sits in our head. It's capable of learning and discovering. Use it.

6. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

Yeah, it is pretty frustrating considering how well our dollar is performing...I decided not to waste a G on a phone, so I purchased a new 3GS instead :D

Same thing goes for iTunes music - I can't justify spending $1.69, $2.19 on songs, but considering the amazing quality of purchased music and the ethical side of it, I still do.

On the flip side, we have the options of a 24-month contract like what American iPhone customers have, or an outright, upfront handset with the flexibility of plans/pre-paid/caps...it's the consumer's choice. I'd say that we're the luckier iPhone customers in comparison to America when you put it in that perspective.