Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Courier Mail reports that the rumored iTunes Music Store which was expected to be launched last Thursday was delayed by one major record company:

A source said yesterday Apple had planned to launch an Australian version of its popular online music store last Thursday, as widely touted, but the launch was thwarted by one unnamed major record company that refused to sign an agreement in time.

Apple consequently had to cancel radio ads for the expected launch. Several Australian users have been able to purchase select songs via iTunes for $1.69.

The status of the other planned international iTunes music stores is unknown.

lordmac

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Lame, the music industry more specifically the record labels are really starting to annoy me they are being so greedy about it. HOnestly if they want to cut down on piracy and the like then they need to provide a easy leagl alternative and when another company trys to do that for them (apple) then they shouldn't hold it up the progress they (apple) making. :rolleyes:

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
I can't say I'm surprised. I know I'll just waste more money on it than I should but it would just be nice to have one!

And so marks my first post here. :D

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
I must say that that sucks for you Aussies. I'm loving the instant gratification element to the iTMS - bought myself the new Nine Inch Nails album yesterday, which was a hell of a lot better than trying to find badly encoded, incomplete tracks of that stuff.

Hopefully it'll be sorted out soon.

Best wishes
Dune

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
That's typical... but why would this prevent the launch of iTMS Norway, Switzerland, Denmark and Sweden...? :confused: :mad:

Good question. Maybe the company is objecting in the other countries too? Sony?

Edit: I am thinking Sony may be the difficult one, because that would explain why no iTMS Japan at all.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
I really hope when it opens it will give us the same conditions that it does everywhere else. I have a really bad feeling about it though :(.

And $1.69 sucks.

Three cheers for the free trade agreement.........:rolleyes:

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
the_mole1314 said:
$1.69 AU = $1.20 US

Still heafty change. I wonder how big the catalouge is?
Well, the norwegian price will (most likely) be NOK 8 = US$ 1.28, at current exchange rates, so you're slightly better off than us... ;)

Of course the Norwegian price includes a 25% sales tax...

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
.Andy said:
I really hope when it opens it will give us the same conditions that it does everywhere else. I have a really bad feeling about it though :(.

And $1.69 sucks.

if you think AUS $1.69 sucks, think about us brits paing AUS $1.93 a track!

edit: my bad, forgot about vat. what's the australian sales tax?

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
thinking of prices, I'm still thrilled everytime I think about the fact that we in Canada get songs for 99 cents CANADIAN, which is like 80 something cents US. :D

Timeline

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2005
As a music maker, I hope the major labels contain subscription services and keep the iTunes sound bite sample model. I would not be surprised if this is what they are negotiating over.

Apple should stay with it's current sales methodology for the sake of the artist and music industry in general.

bbyrdhouse

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2002
Elm Grove, LA
Macrumors said:

The Courier Mail reports that the rumored iTunes Music Store which was expected to be launched last Thursday was delayed by one major record company:

Apple consequently had to cancel radio ads for the expected launch. Several Australian users have been able to purchase select songs via iTunes for $1.69.

The status of the other planned international iTunes music stores is unknown.

WHO CARES?
I have yet to d/l even 1 song from itms.

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
I don't see what the record companies are complaining about. It's a 2% market. The majority says they don't find it interesting because it is too expensive.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
.Andy said:

And $1.69 sucks.

it's 10p lower than the uk ITMS, it's the worst here, 80p per track :(

bbyrdhouse said:
WHO CARES?
I have yet to d/l even 1 song from itms.

then why the hell post here? seriously it's like walking into a pub and announcing you dont like drinking :rolleyes:.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
What tha??

For goodness sake. The store should have opened already! Don't these stupid record companies realise that an iTunes music store will earn them MORE money??

You tell me - how many people these days go to the music store to get a cd eh? The only people I see in music stores these days are over 35's that are in there buying DVD's most of the time anyway. People are still getting music from somewhere.. Go figure :rolleyes:

There is too much red tape here and it is so big they don't know what to do with it except choke themselves and the industry. Just put yourself in an artist's shoes - you have a record contract and you write a song. It can be up for sale globally - the next day. Can you beat that using a conventional music outlet store? NO!! The idiots working in the CD distribution/recplication sector are still probably sitting on their backsides stoned on a Wednesday after last weekend's binge!! :D

You could launch a track or series of them on a national scale instantaneously. We are in the digital age now.. WAKE UP!!!!

aussie_geek

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
.Andy said:

And $1.69 sucks.

I totally agree! $1.69 just doesn't seem like a very appealing price, like its not really that expensive, but i think it just seems off-putting to consumers, $0.99 would be awesome!

And like most other ppl here, I think its really foolish of the record companies resisting this, they have the oppurtunity to get at least something back for the music, which would otherwise be d/led for free.

Oh well their loss!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.