Australian Launched Details Released?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Phormic, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Phormic macrumors regular

Details about the 3G iPhone's Australian launch seem to have been released here on the Australian MacTalk forums.

If true, we're seeing a launch of the new 3G version of the phone to coincide with the opening of the first official Apple stores in Sydney and Melbourne, in the last week of June.

The big news is there is no contract lock in and it will be able to be used with multiple carriers. All carriers here support 3G. Only one supports EDGE which confirms that the new phone must be 3G capable.

2. ryan.stewie macrumors regular

ryan.stewie

omg, i hope this is true!:D:D:D:D:D THIS NEEDS TO BE POSTED ON THE HOMEPAGE AS A RUMOUR! apparently the telcos squabbled over who gets exclusivity so apple said bugger it none of you get it.

3. nlivo macrumors 6502a

that would be good. i hope that still means that there would be unlimited data available. and i hope that my iphone that i'm using now (unlocked) can then be used.

4. Kristijan macrumors member

Fingers crossed that this is the real deal :)

-Kristijan

5. punter macrumors 6502

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the post says nothing about the new iphone.

You (and the article) theorize that because it's open to multiple carriers it must be 3G, but you can use the current iPhone with telstra, vodafone or optus, even although only Telstra has Edge. All have GPRS.

It's good news anyway, I can use my iPhone here legitmately!

6. memesmith macrumors regular

Actually, I'd have thought that if the multiple carrier rumour is true, it's because the TelCo's didn't squabble over who gets it. If they were squabbling to get exclusivity Apple could have played one off against the other. If they all said "we can take it or leave it" Apple isn't going to get a decent revenue sharing deal out of any of them.

Which brings us to an interesting point, if there's no revenue sharing, are the AT&T, 02, etc going to want to look again at their model. (Though a friend I have at Telefonica/02 confided in me that the telcos would prefer revenue sharing deals with all manufacturers, 'cos it would take the pressure of them to bulk-buy new models of phone in advance, and take the risk on whether they'd be a hit or not.)

Of course no revenue sharing is a drastic change to Apple's income projections and financial model fo rthe device, and raises the question of whether unlimited data, and visual voicemail would be available.

7. punter macrumors 6502

I agree. And the article says this. That none of the telcos were overly excited about sharing profits with apple. When the iphone was announced telstra publically panned it. They are the only Australian network with edge!!!! What were they thinking?!

8. entropys macrumors 6502

entropys

I could imagine the tossers running Telstra (the only edge network) thought they could dictate terms to Apple, just like they are now doing to the Feds.
    Telstra is the Rogers of the antipodes. A monolithic, extortionary dinosaur.

I can't make up my mind what I am happiest about: that we are getting an iphone, that it seems it will be 3G, or that Telstra isn't the exclusive carrier.

The ability to walk into any reseller and buy an iphone, just like an ipod, is just a minor bonus in comparison.

9. needthephone macrumors 6502a

No, just someone trying to stir things up.

I have a feeling it will be out when the Sydney store opens but why would Steve Jobs personally come her in June on holiday (as that article says). It will be winter here and cold so not the time to come on a break.

Some select Apple resellers in Australia have been told to prepare for a launch and have each been given a different date so apple would know who leaked the rumour. Yes, right, does he expect people to believe such a stupid scenario. As if apple would tell some non entitiy resellers in Australia before anyone else (I am an Australian by the way). IF he did this there would be scores of these rumors as this would be too big a secret to keep. All been given a different date-come on that is just plain stupid. Apple is a master at keeping surprises until the day before a launch so this is just stupid.

We want to believe and get blinded to obvious errors as we all so dearly want a 3G iphone in Australia

We are a country of only 20 million, probably a fifth of who could be conceivably in the iphone market so Steve Jobs aint going to jeopardise the 3G surprise and tip off such an insignificant market in advance.

We are also 3 ish hours away from the billions in Asia anyway so if it was unlocked they would all flood out of the country.

And isn't the unlocked iphone in France expensive as it not 'subsidised' by the network. If its more expensive then I can't see it selling well in Australia.

No one of the networks here would love to have it exclusively.

Sorry get real

10. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

The only problem is that the iPhone uses a lot of data, so without data friendly tariffs it could get very expensive.

It is further evidence that Apple's position of not being married to any one model is correct.

11. needthephone macrumors 6502a

Evidence, what evidence?? It's just some guy making stuff up!

12. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

I find this news hard to swallow... How is apple going to get their cut on the monthly tariffs if the phone will not be locked to one carrier?

If the telcos squabble over who gets to sell the phone, then it goes to the telco that lets Apple have the largest chunk of that monthly cash. They also look at using the largest providers out there. I would bet Telstra would be the telco of choice as they support edge also so if Apple still makes and sells the Edge iPhone along with a 3G phone they could be covered. The problem would be with Telstra agreeing on a unlimited data plan. The word "unlimited" is not in Telstra's vocabulary.

13. Angsty macrumors member

Angsty

So, now a second carrier has announced they will be offering the iPhone in Australia: Vodafone and Optus.

Wondering if the other carriers will make announcements soon...

So, seems like the rumours on MacTalk Forum were correct after all, eh? ;)