Australian Officially Apple Unlocked 3GS iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fredrickyoon, Jul 3, 2009.

1. fredrickyoon macrumors regular

fredrickyoon

I just received my Australian Officially Apple Unlocked 3GS 32 GB iPhone in Black. Australia sells the Apple 3GS iPhone officially unlocked, where the IMEI is registered in the Apple database to be officially unlocked.

I am using AT&T here in Boston, MA, and the phone is great, but I noticed that frequently, the coverage service goes from 3G to Edge. Is it the band on the phone? I see that the band is AT&T 4.0. I used to have an AT&T locked white one which was fine and this had AT&T 4.1 band on it.

Could this be the problem? I know that it's not my SIMs card of my service because the AT&T locked one was perfectly fine.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I'm seeing something similar on my AT&T-locked iPhone 3GS. I never had this issue with my 3G. It will randomly, about 4 times a day, go quickly from 3G to Edge to Searching... and back to 3G within a minute or so. Kind of annoying, but I suspect it's software related.

I'm having that issue in addition to the terrible battery life. If 3.0.1 doesn't resolve these issues it's going back.

3. Kyeris macrumors 6502

Ever consider there isn't 3G coverage for just a slight amount of time so you drop to edge?

4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I thought it was obvious, but or me it happens while I'm in the same exact location. Can't speak for the OP.

5 bars of 3G on my past iPhone, and 5 bars of 3G once it comes back on the 3GS.

5. fredrickyoon thread starter macrumors regular

fredrickyoon

Is this 3.0 related? I don't believe that this happened on my white 3GS 32 GB that was locked to AT&T. Granted, this white one was purchased from AT&T online, so the model number is different from the ones that they sell at the Apple Store.

Is there a fix for this? It's a little annoying though.

6. Morn macrumors 6502

Boston probably on 1900mhz 3G. 1900mhz is not the best spectrum...
    Notice similar here in Australia with Optus on 2100mhz.
    Telstra is all 850mhz and never has such problems.

7. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

8. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

How much are they in Australia...... my soon to be brother in law lives over there and is coming over for our wedding in August... i may just have to ask him to bring one back with him when he is coming....! :)

Scratch that....

They are A$880.... thats around £440 which is the same as the price of a pay and go one over here... with the added bonus of not having to stick with O2 after my contract is up... me thinks ill be trying to convince the bro in law now!!!

:)

9. baddj macrumors 6502

have a look.

http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=MTE2OTU

10. samab macrumors 6502a

I believe that their prices don't include sales taxes, which is 10%.

11. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

no, GST is included in every price over here
    Which is so much better than the usa et al because it just gets annoying

12. dave006 macrumors 68020

It could just be the local cell, try another location. The bad news is if it is hardware then you are stuck since you don't have a warranty here in the USA. Your Australian iPhone only has a warranty in Australia. :eek:

This is one of the Major drawbacks to purchasing iPhones from other Countries or even traveling with an iPhone.

Dave

13. varig macrumors newbie

ordering officially unlocked iphone through APPLE.au

Hi Guys:

posting my question to the same thread...

I tried to purchase a 32GB 3Gs Iphone through APPLE.au but got stuck because of the address field. It's preset to Australian residence only. I live in California and would like to find out how to go about ordering it directly through APPLE store in Australia.

Any suggestions? I've seen prices on EBAY and they are quite high also can't really trust a lot of ebay sellers unless they've been a seller for years and with impeccable ratings.

Thanks in advance for your help.

14. fredrickyoon thread starter macrumors regular

fredrickyoon

I've also got an Australian one (factory unlocked) 1 day old with accessories that I am selling.

PM me for details.

15. daleski75 macrumors 65816

daleski75

The price caught my eye too and I am from the UK and would love to get a 32gb shipped over for just £504 but I think Apple would not even process the order.

It makes you think just how much profit these ebay guys are making!

16. varig macrumors newbie