Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mortfe

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
Rc0310: You're wrong. If you start with a weak signal, it gets worse I am in the USA and orig had AT&T. Switched to VZW. Difference of 2 bars in all areas. As far as the construction of the case, you're right. I orig had Blade & Elmont cases & lost 2-3 bars, all around, because AT&T sucks. After switching to VZV went with Atomic hybrid & works great, even in underground parking garage.

mortfe

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
pearlberg: Back to all aluminum. Read someware, Elmont Vapor case and a massive (almost 40%) signal loss. Forgot who ordered it. Posted someware in MacForems.

rc0310

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Rc0310: You're wrong. If you start with a weak signal, it gets worse I am in the USA and orig had AT&T. Switched to VZW. Difference of 2 bars in all areas. As far as the construction of the case, you're right. I orig had Blade & Elmont cases & lost 2-3 bars, all around, because AT&T sucks. After switching to VZV went with Atomic hybrid & works great, even in underground parking garage.

haha.. I think you misunderstood my post..

I meant that if you had a weak signal (3/5 bars) to start with when the phone is naked.. and then you put the aluminum case on and try to make a phone call.. the result is you can't even receive or make a phone call..

I quoted the person who said the authentic Draco had no problems with reception.. only the fake ones.

anyway, it's all good! hope someone will get the new Draco 5 soon and let us know how the reception is!

vsighi

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
San Diego, CA
haha.. I think you misunderstood my post..

I meant that if you had a weak signal (3/5 bars) to start with when the phone is naked.. and then you put the aluminum case on and try to make a phone call.. the result is you can't even receive or make a phone call..

I quoted the person who said the authentic Draco had no problems with reception.. only the fake ones.

anyway, it's all good! hope someone will get the new Draco 5 soon and let us know how the reception is!

No one is getting anything till next month, maybe :mad:

mortfe

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
vsighi: What the heck is fake problems? I read the test results they posted but you don't know where or how many times this was done. I got the same BS from Vapor testing. When I got the case, lost 2-3 bars. My home area sucks & don't wan't to play that game again. Apple is just a pain-in-the-ass. They are using an all aluminim case. Why doesn't it effect the signal? You don't hear too much about other smartphone reception problems, only Apple.

Gray bishop

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2012
I purchased the Draco IV case for the iPhone 4S and I have to be honest the reception dropped......... badly. To be fair the reception in the town I live in was never stellar with the 4S; with the 5 it's been amazing. I pre-ordered the Draco 5 hoping they worked out the issues, based on the info they gave on their website and like many of you am looking forward to Oct. 26th.
The Draco IV worked perfectly with the Spigen Glas and will probably be exactly the same on the V. As far as the back needing protection, if they gave the V a slight lip we should be fine. Won't know until it gets here.

keigo

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
For iphone5, don't think any metal bumper will cause any signal lost issue now unless the back panel is cover by metal. To be correct the top and bottom back panel is cover by metal.

"the iPhone 5’s back panel features a cell antenna on the top and bottom of the device, surrounded by a thin strip of glass that allows Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth and other signals to “peek” through. These antennas are so far apart that unless you have freaklish long hands, it’s impossible to “bridge” them with your grip. So long Antennagate."

Read more at http://www.cultofmac.com/190499/why...a-case-for-your-iphone-5/#oigTLhFM5rjFrEXi.99

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Unfortunately we can't trust the results of your experiment as you changed the most important variable, the case.

mortfe

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
Keigo: Someone posted here, using a full metal bumper on iPhone 5, showing the loss of 2 bars. It's somewhere in the forems. I have my fingers crossed praying this bumper, with cutouts top & bottom, works. I love it and will even suck up losing 1 bar, but not 2 or 3. As far as DRACOdesign posted, we don't know where his testing wa done either.

rc0310

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
well.. after watching some YouTube reviews..

even though the reviews didn't talk too much about the reception.. I did a screen cap..

dracod.png

saw another review with Draco 5 with 3/5 bar signal..

keigo

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
well.. after watching some YouTube reviews..

even though the reviews didn't talk too much about the reception.. I did a screen cap..

saw another review with Draco 5 with 3/5 bar signal..

this is not conclusive as we do not know the signal bar without draco 5 to start with.

mortfe

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
Figured I'd take a chance and pre-order. No dice, website won't let you. Kicked back 3 credit cards. Emailed DRACO but never heard back.

Pjstock42

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
There is a guy selling these on eBay for $89.99...Claims to be an "Authorized Draco re-seller". Anyone know if these are legit?

Gray bishop

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2012
How did these 2 YouTube reviewers get the cases before any of us who pre-ordered the Draco V weeks ago?
If these are gen cases (as they appear to be) why do we have to wait until Friday?

rc0310

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Hey guys,

I'll be getting one soon! will do some extensive testing on this case and let you all know how the reception is.. which is what we are all concerned about.

I'll do before/after in strong signal areas and weak signal areas with/without the case..

will show the results in both Field Test mode and just normal bars mode..

gonna take lots of pictures. :) stay tuned!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.