Authoring Software PDF / Print

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DC3400, Jul 24, 2009.

1. DC3400 macrumors newbie

1. I am looking for Mac software which can be used to write muti-page manuals / instruction booklets.

2. I'd like something that can be used for exporting pdf files for online distribution and which can be saved in a format that can be given to a publisher to print for inclusion inside a product (assuming pdf would not be good enough for a publisher).

3. I need something I easily format both text and images. I need to precisely place text around and next to images so as to save space.

4. I need something which quickly allows you to edit, remove, and add items and which automatically adjusts items to fit on a given page size. In other words if I make a change on page 12 I don't want to then have to edit pages 13 to 100 because the content was improperly shifted up or down on all these pages due to the edit on page 12 (i.e., I now find images and text improperly divided between pages - the software should be smart enough know not to divide stuff between pages).

5. Hopefully usable on 10.3.9 as this is my main workhorse with multiple large screens, printer, etc... - although I do have new unopened Apple Macbook Pro, which I've haven't had the time to pimp out yet to a desktop, that I might be able to use.

6. Hopefully something thats not going to cost an arm and a leg. I'd rather NOT have anything by MS.

2. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

Do you need heavy graphic integration within the document? If not, I'd recommend LaTeX (http://www.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/). If you need some publishing software, I've used InDesign to great effect. Good luck.