Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Six people from New York have been charged with allegedly attempting fraudulent transactions at the Deer Park Apple Store near Chicago, according to the Chicago Tribune. Lake County authorities tell the paper that the scheme is an "organized criminal enterprise."

deerparkapplestore-800x492.png

Last week, authorities learned that the scheme was being attempted at various Apple Stores in the Chicago area. The suspects were using stolen identities and credit card numbers throughout the country to make purchases, according to police.

Christopher Covelli, a spokesman for the sheriff's office, told the Chicago Tribune that the suspects would fly into O'Hare International Airport, rent a car, and immediately head to local Apple Stores to attempt the enterprise. Authorities began increasing patrols and surveillance around the Deer Park store after another store in Schaumburg was targeted. Between Wednesday and Sunday, six people attempted the scheme at the store. Police recovered $10,000 worth of stolen Apple products from the alleged suspects.

Covelli said the traveling scheme is not common with out-of-state individuals.

Article Link: Authorities Charge 6 in Chicago Apple Store Traveling Fraud Scheme

nickmcpherson97

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
So they got maybe max 5 MacBooks (pros, airs etc.(assuming varying configurations, not all highest priced)), 7-8 iPads depending on model or config. Or 7-12 iPhones Or a little of everything... For an "enterprise" specializing in theft, this kind of seems to be on the lean side for what they were targeting. Nice to hear they were caught though "coughs" "erm charged"

Reactions: Shirasaki
Comment

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Interesting :O.

I wonder what the suspects/criminals names are?

From the article: "According to police, those arrested and charged were Nicole E. Cannon, 21; Gisselle Diaz, 41; Corbett Ortiz, 26; Quintin Ortiz, 18; Melinda Aquino, 21; and Frank Aulet, 20."

Reactions: myscrnnm
Comment

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
This wouldn't happen if Apple only accepted Apple Pay! (Just kidding - I know that's not practical.)

Comment

radiology

Suspended
Feb 11, 2014
Westlake, OH
i bet they would not have been caught if they were using those blue jackets that was featured on a recent MR article, which can carry all apple products at once.

Reactions: Aston441
Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Unfortunately for Apple, this most likely is not uncommon due to the net worth their products carry, it does not take much to accrue to $10,000 in hardware.

And if these criminals would have successfully completed their heists, Apple's products would have been immediately sold on the black market, which is also not uncommon.

These criminals would have continued their illicit behavior until they were apprehended. And who ever the Police did arrest, it's most likely from a much larger organization then six individuals arrested or what the general Public is Aware of. The Police will hopefully be proactive enough to uncover more individuals involved in this syndicate. Glad they were caught.

Comment

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
Link this charge with previous torrent site KAT being taken down, all Apple protects is the profit alone, and nothing more.
The only matter business care is money.

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Link this charge with previous torrent site KAT being taken down, all Apple protects is the profit alone, and nothing more.

What else does Apple have to protect? It's called Loss Prevention and preventing loss with cooperating with Law Enforcement to assist in stopping those criminals involved. This was a great stop and believe me, their are more than six individuals involved, there are always more. These criminals would have continued their behavior until they were caught, as they have Nothing to lose.

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
So they got maybe max 5 MacBooks (pros, airs etc.(assuming varying configurations, not all highest priced)), 7-8 iPads depending on model or config. Or 7-12 iPhones Or a little of everything... For an "enterprise" specializing in theft, this kind of seems to be on the lean side for what they were targeting. Nice to hear they were caught though "coughs" "erm charged"

Being they were caught early on and not later, this would have continued to until they hit as many Apple Stores as possible. $10,000 is not much in terms of hardware, which easily could have approached $100,000 if they were not Apprehended. Not to mention the lives ruined with stolen identity, which is another level by itself. These are career criminals.

Comment

iamgalt

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2012

The police RECOVERED $10,000 worth of apple products, which yes isn't much in terms of number of products, but they may have already sold some off before they were apprehended. The sheriff outlined what they would do (fly in to OHare, rent a car, go immediately to apple store), which to me sounds like they did it at least a couple times. It really sucks for the people who's credit cards were stolen. That is not a fun process; I've been through it.

Comment

nt5672

macrumors 68020
Jun 30, 2007
It's a pity that humanity will never find the cure for being young and foolish.

Crime and criminal activity does not happen in a vacuum. These people were taught to be criminals, there is nothing innocent about it. They were taught that working is too hard. They were taught school was bad. They were taught that they deserved anything they could take. They were taught that because of their social-economic status or race that laws were meant to hold them back form getting what everyone else has. Indoctrination takes time and we have schools doing it, government doing it, parents doing it, civil rights leaders doing it, etc. Not all mind you, but enough that these criminals are exactly what the people around them have created, on-purpose or not.

When we stole that candy bar from the local convenience store, we were punished. When these folks did, I'll bet their parents either said nothing, or said, "Yeah", you got to the man. A well planned plot is not being young and foolish.

Comment

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate

With a card present transaction unless these were chipped cards and they skipped the chip validation Apple would not have been responsible for this "loss." Your post also misunderstands the nature and impact of Apple's involvement in KAT.

Comment

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
With a card present transaction unless these were chipped cards and they skipped the chip validation Apple would not have been responsible for this "loss." Your post also misunderstands the nature and impact of Apple's involvement in KAT.
Yeah, I only spot one thing: money.
I admit my shortsighted comment.

Comment

first535353

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2015

Six people from New York have been charged with allegedly attempting fraudulent transactions at the Deer Park Apple Store near Chicago, according to the Chicago Tribune. Lake County authorities tell the paper that the scheme is an "organized criminal enterprise."

deerparkapplestore-800x492.png

Last week, authorities learned that the scheme was being attempted at various Apple Stores in the Chicago area. The suspects were using stolen identities and credit card numbers throughout the country to make purchases, according to police.

Christopher Covelli, a spokesman for the sheriff's office, told the Chicago Tribune that the suspects would fly into O'Hare International Airport, rent a car, and immediately head to local Apple Stores to attempt the enterprise. Authorities began increasing patrols and surveillance around the Deer Park store after another store in Schaumburg was targeted. Between Wednesday and Sunday, six people attempted the scheme at the store. Police recovered $10,000 worth of stolen Apple products from the alleged suspects.

Covelli said the traveling scheme is not common with out-of-state individuals.

Article Link: Authorities Charge 6 in Chicago Apple Store Traveling Fraud Scheme
OMG I LIVE 7 MINUTES FROM DEER PARK IL!!

Reactions: chado53
Comment

chado53

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
I wonder when they were flying if they were using phony names and other people's information or their own.
[doublepost=1469546713][/doublepost]
OMG I LIVE 7 MINUTES FROM DEER PARK IL!!

omg, i live in houston but was visiting my sister in chicago and remember camping out over night for the iphone 3g. i was so happy that day! i remember it so clearly. it was cold as ****

Comment

JustaTecho

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2014

So because apple has a lot of money they shouldn't stop theft? If i have 100, and someone else only has a 1 dollar it's ok to steal from me?

I don't understand your logic, please provide some rationalization on what type of theft is ok?

Comment

Joe The Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2006
So because apple has a lot of money they shouldn't stop theft? If i have 100, and someone else only has a 1 dollar it's ok to steal from me?

I don't understand your logic, please provide some rationalization on what type of theft is ok?
apple hardware is easy to fence. And paied in full is all some pawn shops need.

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
apple hardware is easy to fence. And paied in full is all some pawn shops need.

Actually ALL pawn shops have to record all items taken in legally with in 24 hours which allows law enforcement to track if it's later reported stolen. And it helps when Each Apple product has its own unique identification number.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.