Authorization error after moving songs from mac hard drive to external hd

Discussion in 'iPod' started by brainwave89, Sep 11, 2007.

1. brainwave89 macrumors 6502

After I moved all my music from my iMac hard drive to an external hard drive I receive an authorization error that says I can authorize up to 5 machines.

I guess I need to authorize my account but not sure if I need to de-authorize my account under Store first in iTunes.

Can anyone explain to me what I need to do in order for this error message to go away?

Thank you for looking.

2. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

What do you mean you transferred it to an external HD then the message came up?

Are you trying to play the music on a new computer?

Have you given anyone your iTunes password and access to your music library?

If I were you I'd go into iTunes Music Store, click on your username in the top right corner to get to your account info and deauthorize all machines. Then reauthorize your personal machine (which is easy) and if you have family who suddenly say they need you to authorize your music on their machine, don't authorize more than 4 other machines.

3. brainwave89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you EssentialParado for your response.

My hard drive was full so in order to get more free space I moved my iTunes music to an external drive than Consolidated the Library to that drive.

I am now trying to play music that is on the external hard drive.

I haven't given the username and password to anyone but the 3 other users that have always had it.

I will de-authorize all iTunes account then authorize them.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks.

4. brainwave89 thread starter macrumors 6502

The plot thickens

When I try to make a iMovie and add music I purchased from the iTunes store it comes up with same error - I can authorize up to 5 machines. It asks me to enter in my iTunes user name and password. I do and that goes successfully - sometimes.

The crazy thing is that it will play the same music while in iMovie sometimes and other times not. When I try to burn a DVD of the movie it does not allow me.

I could understand it not allowing me to play the music and asking me to enter in my user name and password in iMovie but be consistent.

Any suggestions on how to make this authorization error not come up anymore?

Does it make a difference how many iPods access the same iTunes account?

Thanks for looking.

5. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Hmm, that's very strange. Try repairing permissions? Do you have the ability to take the machine into your closest Apple store to the Genius bar?

Try posting your question on http://discussions.apple.com and you should get some more informative help (if you've never used the forums before you can log in using your Apple/iTunes account) - I always get my problems solved there. :)

6. brainwave89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. I will try working with permissions.

Cheers.

7. joehalpin macrumors newbie

You need to select the "Store" menu in the menu bar, then click "Deauthorize Computer". Once you do that, try to play a song that you purchased. It will ask you to authorize it. Do so and you should be fine.

I don't know if this will apply, but I changed my apple id after getting a .Mac account, I had to authorize the computer for songs bought under both account names (which used up another machine authorization).

Joe