Authorization problem

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Howard Brazee, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

Last night I tried to play a song and iTunes told me I couldn't play it on my computer. So I tried to authorize it, and it told me that I cannot authorize more than 5 computers. I figured it must be confused, so I went to Store/View My Accout and saw that I have 2 computers authorized to play music purchased with this account. Odd, I should have 3 computers authorized.

The song is one I downloaded at work when it was free "The Power of One" by Bomshel. I see that it is no longer offered free.

This morning I tried to synchronize my iPod. The protected songs I bought from the iTunes store won't copy to my iPod because I'm not authorized to play them on this computer. My iTunes thinks I have 2 authorized computers, but apparently my iPod isn't one of these. (I think I have 2 authorized computers too - not counting my iPod).

I set it to manual and tried dragging the song to my iPod, but that failed.

I won't buy protected songs anymore. But I really should be able to play the ones I have bought on my iPod.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Contact Apple. It sounds like a store database problem. Of course you cannot download protected songs, your computer isn't authorized. A simple audit of their database should fix this problem. Worse case, they reset them all and you reauthorize them all.

TEG

3. Howard Brazee thread starter macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

Is this something that can be done on the phone or by e-mail? Or do you mean going to the Apple store?

I did post this question in the Apple forum.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Call Apple Care or the iTunes hotline. You almost have to do it over the phone or e-mail as the Apple Store employees don't have access to that stuff, and they'd just give you a contact number.

TEG

5. Howard Brazee thread starter macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

I will continue to Google for these hot lines and hope to find a number to call. Meanwhile here's some more information:

Besides the podcasts that cannot play in this computer, I have:
    Garden Party (twice)
    House of the Rising Son
    The Power of One (Twice)
    Carmen, Act II, Votre Toast (Toreador Song)
    Mr. Bojangles
    Ella Se Fue

Mr. Bojangles is already on my iPod, but apparently it is on my computer twice, once as a protected ACC audio file, and once as a purchased ACC audio file, both purchased bh Howard Brazee with the same account.

I do upgrade protected songs whenever I can.
    Both copies of The Power of One are protected with my account name.

Ella Se Fue is protected. I can't find that particular Toreador Song either place (I have purchased one)

House of the Rising Son is Protected with my account.

garden party is protected in my account.

I clicked on Garden Party and it told me I'm not authorized to play it on this computer and asked me if I want to authorize it. I said yes, and it told me I can't authorize it on more than 5 computers.

Maybe the songs remember being authorized on my two Windows computers and a co-worker's computer - but I deauthorized those computers when I got my Mac.

Is there an iTunes hot line that I should work with?

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

1-800-275-2273
    (1800 APLCARE)

Say iTunes when prompted.

TEG

7. Howard Brazee thread starter macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

Thanks. I still had to wait a long time for a Mac person before waiting a long while for an iTunes person.

The iTunes person couldn't resolve it (no authority), so he told me to go to

http://www.apple.com/
    http://www.apple.com/support/
    http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store/
    http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store/browser/

He said I would get someone to reset my account in 48 hours. I did find an instruction to delete /Users/Shared/SC but I was unable to go to that.

So I filled in my problem in the field at the bottom of this page and am awaiting a reply.