Authorized unlock through at&t?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacPleezy, Apr 8, 2011.

1. MacPleezy macrumors newbie

MacPleezy

Wanted to see if any MR forum members have had better luck than me at getting at&t to authorize an unlock of their iphone regardless of gen (ie 1-4)?

I have attempted to convince them to do this for me on various occasions with no success :mad: although I presently have a pretty clear understanding of how the process would work.

Thoughts or feedback?

2. sbddude macrumors 6502a

not possible. No exceptions whatsoever.

You can:

1. buy a factory unlocked iphone on ebay or in another country
    2. find a phone with 1.59 baseband and use ultrasnow
    3. find a 3gs or older and unlock with ultrasnow and ipad baseband
    4. use at&t network.

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

AT&T is still the exclusive GSM provider for the iphone in the US. Until that ends*, you won't see any carrier unlock. You'll probably have to wait for an announcement from AT&T or Apple.
    If you're moving to another country, you might be able to get the ETF waived; still, you'd need to talk to AT&T about that.
    *Maybe AT&T bought T-Mobile so they'd be the only nationwide GSM carrier and they wouldn't ever have to offer an unlock. Who knows.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

5. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Yup AT&T is NEVER under ANY circumstances going to unlock an iPhone.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're wasting your time.
    They will not unlock any iphones unless someone makes them. Till then its pointless trying to get an official unlock in the US cause its not gonna happen.

7. sevimli macrumors 6502a

sevimli

Can anyone explain why???

All other phone companies are unlockeble through att but apple.

What about the consumer laws? If you are on month-to-month service you should get it unlocked easily...

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

AT&T will not unlock the iPhone, period. Consumer laws don't say anything about it. Unless someone manages to get the government to intervene, it will not happen, and AT&T has more than enough political power to prevent an unlock.

There's no reason for them to unlock it anyway; they are the only provider authorized by Apple.

9. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Verizon?

10. epictempo macrumors regular

Gevey Sim

Verizon is CDMA so it's of little use out of the states.

Go get yourself a Gevey turbo sim, I saw a bunch on eBay for $25. It works and it's cheap. Some say it's unethical, but I say it's even more unethical for a carrier to lock phones even after contractual satisfaction. Many countries banned locking, but Kapitalism is King here in the states

I'd gladly pay full price for factory unlocked but it's not even possible without being scalped on eBay, craigslist, etc.

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

that would be a CDMA provider. I am sure OP is talking about getting it unlocked for a GSM network. AKA tmobile and AT&T ain't letting it happen at least not now.

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

Another reason AT&T doesn't want the iPhone unlocked is foreign travel; they want you to pay their high rates for overseas usage/data.

13. MacPleezy thread starter macrumors newbie

MacPleezy

1.) Thanks for everyones responses. Although at&t generally will not do it I've been privy to situations where they have in fact done it. The way it works is they need to inform a specific branch of apple they are willing to unlock at which point that phones uuid is recognized as unlocked when it next communicates with the activation server via tethering to itunes with internet connection. I was very curious if anyone has obtained it and if so how..

2.) and in response to the above quote, the easiest place to get an unlocked iphone at cost if you live in the northern US is by going to Canada. Although they sell phones there on multiple carriers, when you purchase the iphone sans contract it is an authorized unlock and you won't be getting fleeced on the cost.

14. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

If only! I'll be out of the country for nearly two months this summer and I'm sure as hell not going to pay roaming rates. I don't want to JB my Iphone4, but I do have a JB/unlocked Iphone 3GS lying around that I'll take, I guess.

I had this same issue with T-mobile. It's absurd. It's MY device. If I have to leave the country for an extended time, I should be able to work with another carrier with MY device.

Oh well.