Authorized users at Apple Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elephunkman, Jun 8, 2010.

1. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Wondering if they will allow authorized users to upgrade (authorized users cannot open a new line) at Apple Stores. Current policies allow this, but will June 24 be different?

2. saDeRmac macrumors regular

Only account holders can upgrade/activate lines at Apple Stores.

3. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah that's weird because current policy can have authorized users upgrade, but not add a line.

4. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

Can an authorized user preorder and then pick up at an Apple store?

5. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

I called both Apple stores in my area and they both said that an authorized user can buy in the store. Have they maybe changed this to allow for authorized users to buy?

6. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

It varies from store-to-store. When I purchased either the original or the 3G, they gave me trouble. I even had a print-out saying that I was an authorized user. They sold me the phone, but I think because they did not want to turn away me from buying two phones.

7. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

I plan on calling again a couple days before the release. But, I did a transfer of responsibility and I'm now the account holder since the original account holder has moved to Sprint. So, I'm cleared for iPhone 4. :D

8. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

9. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

Call AT&T and request it and they'll ask for the person's info or you can do it online, but I don't remember how.

10. pound4pound30 macrumors 6502

pound4pound30

You can do it right on your account on att.com

I believe under account information at the bottom you can add someone. Im not 100% sure if thats where it is though. I just did it the other day.

11. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Just follow this proceedure when the system is back from maint...

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-...yncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB90110&isSrch=Yes

Note: You will need a Photo ID and may be asked to provide the last 4 digits of the Account holder's SSN or account PIN at POS.

Definition and note the Apple Restriction....

Retail Authorized User is someone who has been authorized by a primary account holder to make certain changes to the account when visiting an AT&T retail location. By presenting a valid government-issued ID, a Retail Authorized User is allowed to make account changes that include switching rate plans, adding or removing features and making upgrades. Certain functions are reserved for the primary account holder and cannot be made by a Retail Authorized User. These functions include adding a line, requesting a Transfer of Billing Responsibility (ToBR), or adding another Retail Authorized User to the account. ​
    Retail Authorized Users and Apple Stores – If visiting an Apple store, the account holder must be present.

source: http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-...e=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB110035

Dave

12. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

The Apple store policy varies from store to store.

13. dave006 Contributor

dave006

No, the official Apple Policy is what I posted, the fact that an indvidual store chooses to ignore the policy is up to the store and the manager and individual employees. :eek:

So please consider metioning that it a buyer beware situation rather than a fact: it might work for you but not for another poster at the same store or at another Apple store.

Dave