Authorized Users

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by creeman, Jun 12, 2010.

1. creeman macrumors 6502

Okay, here is my dilemma. I am currently on a FamilyPlan with my dad and step mom. My contract is about to end in July (I think, created the line when the 3G came out), and their plans dont end until next summer sometime. I would like to upgrade to the iPhone 4, but my dad doesnt want to be with AT&T any longer, and instead is moving to Verizon. If my dad was to add me as an authorized user on the account, could I then sign the new 2-year contract using my SSN and information? And if this could be done, would it require me to pay the $500 down payment since I have no credit? Thanks for the help!

2. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

IM just having my parents meet me before I head into the store on launch day. Seems like the easiest way. But, you should ask ATT about your problem. They should be able to help.

3. witmvpness6 macrumors member

How old are you? I'm 18, gonna be 19 in August. My mom and I have a family plan and her line is eligible in September. I'm just going to cancel my line on her family plan and get my own individual plan. If you're 18, call AT&T customer service and see if they will require a deposit for you. I just called and I won't need one since I have pretty good credit for my age. If your dad is still on your plan (a co-signer) you might not need a deposit.

4. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Since you will be the Primary account holder, you can get a new 2-year contract. But you'll need a credit card to do so.

5. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

Yes, but the poster's dad's name will still be on the account. If the other line is dropped and the dad the poster's line is made a primary and an authorized user, he/she may still have a hard purchasing one not from AT&T. The account would still be in the dad's name. There is no need to pay a deposit for this since the account name is not changing.

If the poster is asking about switching the account into his/her name, then that is not being an authorized user and he/she may have to place down a deposit.