Auto 3G switch "off"

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by AlkFoo, Dec 16, 2010.

1. AlkFoo, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010

AlkFoo macrumors member

I searched through the forum to see if there was anything on an automatic 3G "switch off" app of any kind, and didn't see this mentioned. To explain, I have a 3G iPhone and like most iPhone users want to maximize my battery life so when there's no need for "3G" I like to shut it off to take advantage of the free wifi I am getting. Of course that includes going into settings and shutting it off mannually.

My question: is there an app that detects when there is an "open" wifi connection and can shut "off" 3G signal automatically? Do newer iPhone models already do this?

Long time reader... first time poster... Please take it easy on me if this is a "no brainer" that most iPhone users already know about. :eek:

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Bear in mind that you won't be able to receive texts or calls over Wi-Fi. If 3G is off then you'll need to ensure that you're in 2G coverage if you want to be able to receive texts and calls.

Whether this is an actual problem depends on your country and operator; some operators have 2G pretty much everywhere, others don't.

3. AlkFoo thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Didn't even realize phone and text would be affected... I should stick to reading posts not writing them :)

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Good point. I live in a great 3G area but abysmal EDGE area and that's in the US where most people think at&t's EDGE coverage is better.

5. AlkFoo thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

So, I tested it out... Turned off my 3G and I got texts and calls fine. Am I missing something?
    I'm talking about for browsing on safari- is there an app or something that can detect when u have a open wifi signal and shut off the 3G signal or vice versa (say you're in wifi with 3G off... No wifi, but you go to browse safari and it's signals 3G to come because of that)?

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You turned 3G off and now you're only on EDGE or GPRS (*shudders*) which is why you still get texts and can make calls.

Apple doesn't allow apps to have access to API's (commands) that turn 3G on/off. In order to do that you have to jailbreak (bypassing Apple's restrictions) and find a program that'll do that. Not sure if there is one currently.

7. AlkFoo thread starter macrumors member

Country- US
    Operator- AT&Y (?)

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It has nothing to do with what carrier you're on (if you're in the US it's at&t).

9. roundicos macrumors newbie

Simply turn off 3G connectivity when the iPhone is locked for more that let's say 2 minutes, it'll run on edge which consumes a lot less battery, and what background app needs 3G anyway?

10. AlkFoo thread starter macrumors member

@ Quarter... Gotcha, with battery-life being seeming to be an issue with iPhone's you would think there would be some value in apple developing something like this. I know the battery life is getting better with each new model of the iPhone so maybe it's not issue.

In general, is EDGE not very reliable throughout all parts of the US? Never had a Gen 1 iPhone (but know it wasn't 3G), so then was EDGE all it had for calls, texts, and internet?

Not even sure if having a 3G signal for other smartphones drains the batttery quicker like with the iPhone, but does anybody know if other Smartphones have something like this (ability to sense when 3G is "needed" or not)? That might be "smart" ;)

I know the answer is a better battery, and I guess if apps like the one I'm suggesting aren't allowed by apple, other then Jailbreaking your phone means we wait for something like it or a better battery.

Thanks everyone