Auto Adjust Brightness

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WhySoSerious, Jul 17, 2008.

1. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

anyone else having issues with Auto Brightness not auto adjusting? i initially had the brightness set at 100% and throughout the day, it's remained there.

*tried posting this in the troubleshooting forum, but noone even reads there....i have better luck getting a reply here.

2. higgalls macrumors regular

Yeah it doesn't seem to work for me either. I have my brightness set about half-way, with auto-brightness on, and I havent' seen the brightness change at all. I am on the original shipping iPhone 3G firmware.

3. Fuchal macrumors 68020

The slider doesnt change, but the screen brightness does, depending on lighting conditions.

4. higgalls macrumors regular

I tried putting it in a dark place, and it didn't change for me though. I know how it is meant to work as I have a MBP. I have even tried covering up where im guessing the sensors will be on the phone, but it doesn't get any brighter.

5. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

same here.

i have a mbp too and i know how the auto adjust works....it just doesn't on the iphone. from a completely lit room to a completely dark room, the brightness stays the same.

6. Dizle macrumors 6502

I have found that if I start in a dark room the brightness will auto adj low (waking from sleep) then I turn the light on and a few seconds later it adjusts up. It does not seem to go from bright to dim, just dim to bright. So it does work for me and I'm sure it saves some battery power.

7. angel1286 macrumors member

hmm, mine seems to be working fine although I typically keep my screen pretty dim.

8. higgalls macrumors regular

What firmware are you using?

9. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

From my understanding, the brightness will only automatically adjust when the iphone is awakened. This is deliberate since the designers thought it would look weird if it were constantly adjusting. However, I have found my will automatically get brighter now, but not dimmer while in use. So I guess they decided this change was beneficial at some point.

Try waking it under a bright light, then with the sensors covered up. If you don't see a difference then there is probable something wrong.

10. Ifone macrumors newbie

Just by turning the auto brightness on and off you should instantly see a slight change. I certainly do.
    It then reacts to the light conditions whenever it comes out of sleep mode.