Auto-adjust Screen Brightness on Battery Power?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danmcq, May 26, 2011.

1. danmcq, May 26, 2011
    Last edited: May 26, 2011

danmcq macrumors newbie

danmcq

Hi everyone, I've searched quite a bit for a solution to this but have yet to find exactly what I'm looking for.

I should mention that I'm relatively new to the Mac platform, so pardon my ignorance. On my Windows-based laptop there was a feature which would automatically adjust the screen brightness level depending on whether or not the laptop was running on AC power or on battery power (for example, 50% brightness on battery, 100% on AC). I can't seem to find any built-in way of doing this in OSX on my MacBook Pro. Can anyone suggest a 3rd party tool which may be able to accomplish this? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. danmcq thread starter macrumors newbie

danmcq

I've found that option to be sorely lacking; it doesn't allow you specify the actual settings of the brightness.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

You're still achieving twice the battery life of similar spec'ed PC's. Why worry about such a trivial matter? Macbook Pros have a light sensor to auto adjust to ambient light, just so you don't have to fiddle with it.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's all that's available, built-in.
    It's not trivial. Screen brightness has a major impact on battery life.

6. danmcq thread starter macrumors newbie

danmcq

Honestly I haven't even had the laptop long enough to determine the impact of screen brightness on battery life, I'm just running on the assumption that it is definitely going to drain quicker at higher brightness levels.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It certainly will. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

8. danmcq thread starter macrumors newbie

danmcq

That you for the link! I'll give this a thorough read-through. I appreciate everyone's input.