Auto Adjust Width in Finder Icon View

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gianthobbit, May 12, 2010.

1. gianthobbit macrumors 6502

Ok, here goes, I thought I could find this through search but no go but pretty basic question.

When view folder through finder and bumping up the size of the icons it makes the window wider so I need to use the horizontal scroll bar to see all the items. This really does not make much sense and I would rather have what it does in iPhoto, the images get bigger and it just pumps the list down (makes the vertical scroll longer etc.). I hope this makes sense, I can not seem to find a setting to change it however.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Sure. It depends on what you have chosen for "Keep Arranged By" in the Show View Options dialog. Sounds like you are working with Snap to Grid in Icon View. If you change that to any of the others (except None) then it should behave as you want it to.

3. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome, worked great! One other small problem, it seems I have to set this setting in each and every folder now, is there anyway to set it as a global setting?

4. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

If you're using 10.5 or later in the 'view options' pane there should be a button at the bottom "Use as Defaults"