Auto App to clean Uninstalled App Pref

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Norenester, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Norenester macrumors newbie

Is there an app that cleans up old uninstalled apps preferences from the system and User Library's? I already use OnyX, MainMenu, XSlimmer and other various apps to keep my MAC running at best performance. But when I browse my Library's I see preferences for apps I don't have anymore. Instead of manually going through them all is there an automated app that looks in my Applications folder and then my Library and figures out what should stay and what should go. Also looking in /Library/Receipts/ there are also pkg files left by uninstalled apps. I know CCleaner does something similar with the Windows Registry. What MAC App will clean these left behind files?

I use AppZapper now but I need something to clean before I learned about AppZapper.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. firesong macrumors member

Try Hazel. You don't even have to drag the want-to-uninstall-app onto any other application - just drag it to trash and Hazel will seek out the pref files and offer to trash them for you.

3. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Doesn't really help with applications already trashed, which is what the OP was talking about.

4. Norenester thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks firesong Hazel is a kewl app but not what I am looking for. Better than AppZapper but I wanted something that could clean out my already existing Preferences.

What would happen if I just erased all my preferences and as i open each app would it just create a new pref?