Auto back up to iTunes from iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sultanoflondon, Apr 1, 2016.

1. sultanoflondon macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I back up my iPhone 6s Plus to iTunes on my iMac using iTunes Wi-Fi sync automatically, instead of iCloud.

After contacting Apple today, I now understand that there is a consequential difference between 'syncing' your iPhone and 'backing up' your iPhone: syncing the iPhone only backs up small changes the iPhone storage whilst a back up creates an identical copy of the iPhone on the computer. I have two questions:

Firstly, is it at all possible to force the iTunes to complete a full back up of the iPhone every time, instead of just syncing it, over Wi-Fi. For example, by disabling the sync function?

Secondly, is it possible to set the frequency at which iTunes backs up the iPhone automatically? For example, could I tell iTunes to back up the iPhone every three hours?

Thank you very much in advance!

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

In iTunes uncheck the iCloud backup and check the box for "back up to this computer". Also if you want a complete backup with all passwords and health info check the "Encrypted" box. Use a password you can not forget as you will need it to do a restore.

After you are done you got a FULL backup.

I then always uncheck and recheck the box for iCloud as it is a good safety net between hard backups.,

3. sultanoflondon thread starter macrumors 6502

So, an encrypted backup will back up EVERYTHING on my iPhone, is this correct?

Thank you for your reply!

4. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

I backup to both iCloud and computer - automatically to iCloud, and at least weekly to computer manually by clicking the button in iTunes...

5. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Not exactly. Since you used the "EVERYTHING" word, you should know that the encrypted iTunes and even the iCloud backup don't include EVERYTHING from your iPhone.

Your iTunes backup doesn't include:
    • Content from the iTunes and App Stores, or PDFs downloaded directly to iBooks (use Transfer Purchases in iTunes first)
    • Content synced from iTunes, like imported MP3s or CDs, videos, books, and photos
    • Data stored in other services, like Gmail and Exchange mail
    • Photos already stored in the cloud, like My Photo Stream, and iCloud Photo Library
    • Touch ID settings
    • Apple Pay information and settings
    Note: as you indicate in your initial post: Syncing is not the same thing as a Backup.

Dave

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I guess a proper word should have been "most" everything. There are a few things that it will not back up but most everything I need is there including passwords and all health data. It make moving from one phone to another, painless!

The post above list the few things that are not moved