Auto battery charge?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrkillercow, Aug 12, 2011.

1. mrkillercow macrumors newbie

i'm currently using a MBP 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, and i want to know if there is any application that allows the macbook to automatically start/stop battery charge at certain levels.

so i'm asking if there is any apps that:
    1) i leave the A/C charger plugged in, but will not charge unless it reaches a certain battery percentage (e.g. 5%)
    2) once it reaches that certain percentage, the charger will start charging
    3) after the battery level reaches another certain percentage (e.g. 100%) then it'll stop the charge, but keep the charger plugged in so that the cycle can start again

and the app does this automatically WITHOUT human supervision

such app would be awesome! please reply!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Why would you want to do that? It's utterly useless. You'd simply be stressing your battery and adding cycles to it, effectively harming it in the long run.

This isn't the old days of the Ni-Cad rechargeable batteries that had a horrible memory effet, this is a modern day, Lithium-Polymer battery.

You can leave your computer plugged in all the time without harming the battery. Just unplug in once a week or so to give your battery some exercise.

My macbook pro's been plugged in about 80% of it's life, it is now going on 4 years old, battery health is 75%. That's pretty healthy for a nearly 4 year old battery.

And anyway, no software app would be able to do what you're asking, as charging is hardware controlled, not software.