Auto-brightness broken?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by superspiffy, Feb 16, 2008.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

How is the auto-brightness suppose to work? The brightness doesn't seem to change even if I cover the light sensor or if I'm in a dark room. It's always set to middle, unless I manually change it. And auto-brightness is turned on. Can I run a definitive test before I return it back to Apple? And my iPod is not Jailbroken

2. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Well, it's not always if the room is dark it gets brighter.

3. 7even macrumors 6502a

The actual brightness slider doesn't move. Turn on the auto brightness and walk outside .. notice the screen get brighter. Go inside and go in a dark room ... notice the screen dim.

4. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

And yeah you actually have to go outside, you can't cover it up and prove it works or not...it seems that sunlight is the only way to check it out...

5. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

I noticed something similar with mine and thought there might have been something wrong or that my case was covering up the sensor, even though it had a hole for it (but taking off the case didn't have any effect).

For me, it seems to be that it only bothers to check the sensor when I first turn on or wake up the iPod, and it very rarely changes any time after that. Maybe it requires a lot of change, like sunlight--I've tried only in my completely dark room by starting completely dark and then turning on the lights, all with no change (although if I wake up the iPod in dark or light, I can definitely tell a brightness difference).

I just figured that might have been how it was supposed to work, and most of the time it doesn't bother me too much. That being said, I wouldn't mind if it worked a bit better, but I suppose it's better than changing my brightness every second due to any random light fluctuation...

6. theman macrumors 6502a

i had the brightness all the way up on mine, with auto brightness on, and after going into a COMPLETELY pitch black room, the thing was blinding me, i had to manually turn it down the the lowest setting in order to look at it. then, i turned the lights on in the room, and it stayed so dim i couldn't see it.

as the poster above said, it only changes if i sleep it and wake it up... sometimes.

i think apple has an issue they need to work out with it. the auto brightness feature on my MBP is SO sensitive i turn it off. just accidentally swiping your hand over the sensor while typing will dim the screen, or if someone walks behind you and blocks out the light, or if you shift your body to the side... its quite annoying to have the screen fluctuating so much.

apple, please find some middle ground!

7. BassistKing1 macrumors member

if u think it isnt working, go somewhere either really dark or really light (doesnt matter which, just pic one) then go to the brightness menu and turn autobrightness from on to off, and u'll probly notice the screen change a bit. heck, probly anywhere will work to be able to see the difference.

8. a104375 macrumors 6502

a104375

my auto-brightness usually doesnt change unless you put it on stand-by

9. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

10. Resist macrumors 68030

The same with mine. When I first turn my Touch on auto brightness doesn't work. I have to put it to sleep and then wake it for auto brightness to work and it won't adjust to different amounts of light again unless I sleep and wake it again.

11. Resist macrumors 68030

Anyone know for sure how Auto Brightness is supposed to work, as the manual is not very clear. With it on is it supposed to continuously make adjustments (on the fly) to the screen brightness based on the room light? Or is it supposed to do what mines does and only make the room light adjustments after each time I wake it from sleep mode.

12. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

Up until this week, mine only turned at the high level. It would not change regardless of whether it was light or dark.

Suddenly now, it turns on dim when the ambient light level is low, and bright when the light level is high. It does not change until shut off and then turned back on. The strange thing is that if I'm in a room with lights in it, the touch will turn on dim, unless I point it at the light.

13. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

Yeah, it's not a HUGE change, but it's enough to where if it's in my room where it's dark it's dimmer, and if I'm outside, I can see it. It's just okay, but I think I'm going to turn it off. I've also noticed that in Fluorescent lighting, it "jitters."

14. Resist macrumors 68030

Okay so here is how I finally figured out how Auto-Brightness works on the Touch.

When the screen is not maxed out on brightness and you go from a dim room into a bright room Auto-Brightness will brighten the screen. But it will not dim it back down if you go back into a dim lit room. The only way to force it to auto adjust is by putting the touch in sleep and then waking it up. This way it auto adjusts with every wake cycle.

So there you have it, Auto-Brightness does just that. It automatically adjust the screen brightness but not the dimness, there is no auto dimming of the screen.

Seems like since the Touch is able to auto bright then you think it could also auto dim the screen. Hey Apple are you listening?

15. Suanmiao macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

agree