Auto brightness bugged?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Quantus, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Quantus macrumors regular

My ipad Mini's auto brightness does not seem to be working correctly. It will gradually increase in very bright environments. However, it will not dim when in dark environments.

It does dim after pressing the sleep/standby button. It dims to the level I set when I turned on auto brightness.

Running 6.0.1. Recently restored after erasing all content/settings. Didn't resolve the issue.

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

Try resetting the device by simultaneously holding down the power and home buttons until you see the Apple logo, then release.

Honestly the auto dim is not implemented very well on iPad's. In ambient indoor lighting, sliding the auto dim ON the brightness changes very little on both my iPad's. On my Android tablets you can see the brightness level scale very nicely.

3. Quantus thread starter macrumors regular

Tried that. The only way I can get my ipad to dim is to press the power button.

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

Set auto dim ON and take your iPad outside in bright light and you should see it go FULL bright. If you turn OFF auto bright it should get very dim. That's the best way to make sure it's working correctly.

Like I mentioned, i'm not a big fan on how Apple implements auto brightness on their tablets. On my Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Nexus 7 you can tell a big difference between manually setting the brightness level and switching to auto brightness indoors or outdoors.

5. Quantus, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012

Quantus thread starter macrumors regular

It does go full bright. I don't understand how that is the indication that auto brightness is working properly. When I return to a dark room, the brightness will not go down at all unless I press the power button.

*edit*

Ok, nevermind it's working now. Wtf.

*2nd edit*

Not working again. Held the device in a dark room for several minutes. The brightness did not dim.

6. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

No troubles on mine. Works the same as on my iPhones. I prefer the Apple "method" as compared to the Nexus 7 or GS3. On Android, I use an app called Lux which makes the autobrightness more like iOS.

7. Quantus thread starter macrumors regular

So you can move from a dark to light room and the brightness will adjust accordingly, without pressing the power button?

8. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Something is definitely flawed with Auto-Brightness since 6.0. It does not work correctly on 4 of my iOS devices, which are all different models, running 6.0.1.

9. Quantus thread starter macrumors regular

What isn't working properly? Are you experiencing the same issue as me?

10. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I have yet to see it work correctly. I have however seen my screen randomly dim and not brighten itself back until I manually up the brightness.

I ended up just turning it off.

11. syd430 Guest

See the first paragraph of my post here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16273698&postcount=12

12. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud