Auto-brightness does not work well

Discussion in 'iPad' started by silverblack, Apr 7, 2010.

1. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Do you find that the auto-brightness function of iPad kind of sucks? It's too bright in the dark and not bright enough in a well-lit room. I realize this probably functions just as poorly on Macbook Pro; however, it's much more convenient to change screen brightness on MBs. With the iPad, I constantly find myself going to setting and drag the bar back and forth for screen brightness...

Apple need to find a way to adjust the sensitivity of the ambient light sensor.

2. jeremyblevins macrumors member

I don't think my screens brightness has changed at all since it's been on with auto adjust turned on.

3. Sophistry macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issues with two different iPads. My wife's 16 GB will brighten when going from a dark to a light environment but not the other way around, whereas my 64 GB doesn't shift at all under any conditions.

Unlike with a MacBook Pro, where you can block the ambient light sensor with your hand and almost always get the screen to automatically adjust, the iPad does not respond when you do the same.

4. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

You should probably just turn off auto brightness as it just helps drain the battery faster. Although with the battery on the iPad I'm not sure how much of a difference it would really make.

5. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

This has never worked on my iPhone either. So I didn't expect it to work with iPad either :cool:

6. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Not working for me either. I'm hoping it's just a software issue. :rolleyes:

7. acosmichippo macrumors regular

I am experiencing the same issues. I think it's important to note that the auto-adjustments on an iPhone and Macbook Pro work VERY differently. MBPs are nearly automatic, and I highly doubt the autoadjust on the ipad was supposed to work this way. An iPhone, however, is much more laissez faire. For instance, it will never dim itself going from a light to dark environment. To readjust, you can lock it, and then unlock it.

But my ipad won't even do that much.

Here's hoping for an update before 4.0 this fall...

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iPhone is not supposed to auto adjust when at the lockscreen. As for the auto dim it will only go as dim as the lowest setting you set the manual birghtness control to. I will agree with you ok the point that it is sometimes lazy when it comes to adjusting but it usually does in the end.

9. acosmichippo macrumors regular

I know it doesn't adjust ON the lock screen, but if you want the iPhone to readjust to your environment, you can force it by locking and unlocking.

10. Aranince macrumors 65816

11. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

Mine works, but not all that well. I feel like I am adjusting mine a lot as well. I have seen it get brighter and dimmer, but never by very much.

12. MikhailT macrumors 601

Then something is wrong with your iPhone's sensor. My iPhone always work fine with auto-brightness.

13. p-rice macrumors regular

This is one reason why I can't wait to jailbreak my iPad. On my iPhone, I have SBSettings installed that lets me adjust the brightness quickly. It's a mini settings menu which you can access from within most apps running by swiping your finger across the status bar.

14. kepner macrumors 6502

Sometimes, I swipe the status bar on my iPad expecting SBSettings to appear.

15. aluren macrumors 65816

Auto brightness works on my iPad, just not as well as it should. The iPad is WAY too bright for my liking, and my complaint is mostly for use at night. It can like up my room. I guess that's LED vs LCD in a nutshell. My iPhone is pretty dim and I always set my auto brightness off because usually it gets too dim... the opposite is true for the iPad.

16. LeakedDave macrumors regular

Eh. IT SHOULD auto adjust on the lock screen. Sick of getting blinded. Auto Brightness is turned off on mine until they fix this.

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Bumping old threads isn't always a good idea.

18. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I have always switched off auto brightness for both my iPhone and iPad and at 40% on both the brightness has been very good

19. Resist macrumors 68030

Not at all. In fact auto brightness on a MBP couldn't be more perfect and I'm very impressed with it. It even turns off the keyboard backlight in bright rooms.

But I agree that the auto-brightness feature on the iPad and even the iPhone is terrible. I'm not pleased how Apple implemented this feature into those devices.

20. palpatine macrumors 68040

auto-brightness adjustments on my ipad, ipod, and mbp perform poorly. i cannot tell at all on the ios devices, and on the osx one it often happens when i don't want it to, so i turn it off on everything. it's a good idea, but i don't see the implementation working very well anywhere.

21. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

Probably the worst design I find on the fat pad is the brightness. It goes bright enough, but at night, in a dark room, it doesn't go dim enough. It's either quite bright, or off. I wish you could set it to go down from full brightness, to almost off, without that big jump.