Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fotomatt1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
Verizon iPhone 4S 64gb. Installed iOS 6 GM and everything seems pretty good and snappy except auto brightness doesn't seem to work. No change in a dark room between on and off. Annoying.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Verizon iPhone 4S 64gb. Installed iOS 6 GM and everything seems pretty good and snappy except auto brightness doesn't seem to work. No change in a dark room between on and off. Annoying.

Maybe a bug? Mine works perfectly, even better than before.

Danindub

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008

Took me a good while, but I think i've found the solution...

Open your multitasking menu, ane make sure that "Passbook" app is closed... Seem to work very well after that, in fact much better than in iOS 5.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Took me a good while, but I think i've found the solution...

Open your multitasking menu, ane make sure that "Passbook" app is closed... Seem to work very well after that, in fact much better than in iOS 5.

I just tested that and it didn't help me. While mine says on, I never see a increase or decrease in brightness. It must be an iOS 6 bug.

Danindub

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
I just tested that and it didn't help me. While mine says on, I never see a increase or decrease in brightness. It must be an iOS 6 bug.

How did you "test it"? In iOS 6 the change of brightness is much slower than it was in iOS 5 ( more MacOS - like).

Press power button to put your phone to sleep , cover the light sensor next to the speaker with your thumb (you can cover entire top part of the phone), and wake you phone up, You will see that screen will be very very dim. No uncover it, and use your phone as you would . You will see after few seconds your screen will gain brightness.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
How did you "test it"? In iOS 6 the change of brightness is much slower than it was in iOS 5 ( more MacOS - like).

Press power button to put your phone to sleep , cover the light sensor next to the speaker with your thumb (you can cover entire top part of the phone), and wake you phone up, You will see that screen will be very very dim. No uncover it, and use your phone as you would . You will see after few seconds your screen will gain brightness.

What is this power button you speak of? I only have a Sleep/Wake button and the Home button. :) Just kidding.

I just tried what you mentioned and it didn't seem to dim at all. I have my brightness set right under the TN in brightness and the screen never dims. I do however get a random bug that lowers the brightness for long periods of time until I change the brightness via Settings.

This is on an iPhone 5 that was setup as new.

Danindub

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
What is this power button you speak of? I only have a Sleep/Wake button and the Home button. :) Just kidding.

I just tried what you mentioned and it didn't seem to dim at all. I have my brightness set right under the TN in brightness and the screen never dims. I do however get a random bug that lowers the brightness for long periods of time until I change the brightness via Settings.

This is on an iPhone 5 that was setup as new.

Fair enough, I guess I'm lucky it worked for me :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.