Auto-Brightness Doesn't work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cmF, Jan 13, 2009.

1. cmF macrumors member

cmF

Ok, so I already had my phone replaced for this problem but it keeps happening. I switch auto-brightness on but it does not adjust itself accordingly.

For example: I'll be in my completely dark bedroom about to go to sleep and I get my iPhone to set the alarm, but the damn thing nearly blinds me because it's so bright from me adjusting it during the day. So, I turn the brightness all the way down so I can actually see what I'm doing.

The next day, I'll use my phone for something else and I can barely see anything at all because I adjusted the brightness the night before to really dim. So I turn it up all the way to avoid the sun's glare. Then the process just repeats itself and it's starting to get really annoying.

Is there something I'm not getting about auto-brightness? I explained the problem to the people at the Apple store and they assured me the problem would be fixed with a new iPhone. I got a new iPhone and it still doesn't work. What are the chances?

Yes, auto-brightness is on, and there is nothing blocking the light sensor.

Please help. Thanks

Update: I went to the Apple store and a Genius told me that he has come across this problem many times before. He said he has never once owned or seen an iPhone or iPod that has a functioning auto-brightness. Another fellow Genius also confirmed that.

All he told me that hopefully Apple will come out with a patch to fix it. This doesn't really help anyone, but I hope it's an explanation for those who are also wondering.

2. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Mine does the same thing, it's a PoS feature. It works when it wants to and even then, it doesn't know exactly what it wants to do. On my MBP it works fantastically with instant results though.

3. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Lol auto brightness to me has never worked in any device I've owned iPod Touch and now iPhone 3G.

In the manual it states its suppose to get brighter in sunlight when its hard to read and I think mid level brightness maybe in the dark but I've tried and it doesnt work.

4. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Make sure you don't have a case over the senser to the left of the speaker. That's why it is weird.

5. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I would say that mine if flaky at best... sometimes works, but never when you want it to.

6. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

mine works about 90% of the time. But every once in a while i'll be in a dark room and the thing will blind me

7. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

the auto brightness works fine for me :D

only sometimes i'll be in a dark room and it'll catch a glimpse of light from a lamp post somewhere and decide to blind me.

but i've never been unable to read the screen due to sunlight and i keep the default brightness all the way down to, like, 15% :p

8. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

On the original iPhone... keep the brightness at 50% with auto-brightness on.
    On the iPhone 3G... keep the brightness at 25% with auto-brightness on.

It's bright in the daylight and pretty dim at night. Try it out.

9. sjorge macrumors member

+1, i evens seems to respond to a red light source grrr.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No, it's just a screwed up feature.

I've compared many iPhones, side by side, both set to 30% with auto brightness on.

About 75% of them do what you described. About 25% of them (mine included) do the opposite. And I'm talking about a SIDE-by-SIDE test. I'll have my cousin's phone and mine in my hand and walk from dark rooms to outdoors and his pretty much always does the opposite of what mine does.

11. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Weird. Take it back.

12. sexyfoolxx macrumors member

My auto-brightness worked perfectly until 2.2 :mad: Now when I have auto-brightness on, even in a semi well lit room, the back-light is off. I would take the blinding over the "not being able to see the screen at all." :)

13. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

My auto brightness has never adjusted itself...

Bryan

14. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

my auto-brightness never seems to work.

may be a stupid question... where is the sensor?

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Same here. I have a zero day iPhone 2G and the sensor always works, usually within 5 seconds of light changing. As described by Menge, it seems to rarely catch some light and brighten or dim for a second and then return to normal. Sorry to hear it's not working for some of you.

It's located above the ear piece right below the chrome banding and slightly to the right. If you put it in the sunlight you'll be able to see it.

16. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

well i took it out in the sun, and on the iPhone's right (my left) of the earpiece, there is 3 red dots, in approximately these positions:

Attached Files:

17. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Auto brightness sucks on the iPhone/iPod Touch. It's just something you have to live with.

Don

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Huh. If you have a 3G they may have changed it. I've got the original.

19. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Make sure the sensors that were pointed out above are not covered by your case or fingers.

Works great for me, but sometimes when I don't want it to.

20. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

I just took it outside again, and all three dots are visible, at the extremities of the case. The case was obviously designed to fit the sensors there.

EDIT: oh, and i never have my hands/fingers up there any way.

Quick pic from iSight and Paintbrush:

Attached Files:

21. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I was talking to the OP, not you.
    And while a lot of companies do make the case to where it goes around the sensors, some comapanies don't.

22. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Same here, sometimes it dims out even though I needed more.

Other than that, whenever I go to sleep and all the lights in my room are turned off, the auto-brightness settings kick in very well.

23. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Well sorry to get in the way there. :( Is this not a public forum?
    *cue debate?* :p

I was just giving my view.

24. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I know, but I was aiming my post at him (her) since (s)he is the one with the problem.

25. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

And so am I :p
    Or do OP's get special priveliges :rolleyes:

:D