Auto-Brightness Help Please!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dan-K, Sep 28, 2016.

1. dan-K macrumors regular

Hi All,

Apologies in advance if this is a silly question!

I currently have auto-brightness enabled. Sometimes I find I want the screen brighter than what auto-brightness sets it as, so I open control center and manually slide the brightness bar up to my desired brightness (with auto-brightness still enabled).

When does auto-brightness kick in again? Is it after a set time? Or do I have to go to setting and turn it off then turn it back on again?

Hope this makes sense!

Dan

2. coolio93 macrumors 6502

From my experience, it kicks back in after the lighting environment significantly changes

3. now i see it macrumors 68000

When it's turned on, it's always on. An algorithm determines a set brightness based on the front ambient light sensor. You can then adjust the brightness to your desired level and it will auto-adjust from that setting.
    When the phone is turned off, it defaults to its preset original setting again. (Not your setting last used).

4. dan-K thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect, that explains it! Thanks! :)

5. Aceroller macrumors member

Seems like when I have auto brightness on and then I manually turn the control center toggle all the way up, it just stays there regardless of lighting environment. I have to go back to settings and toggle auto brightness off then back on to engage it again.

6. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

What’s happening is that you’re basically calibrating the auto brightness; you’re telling it “at the current ambient light, I want this brightness.”

The auto-brightness algorithm then uses this in its calculations, so if you turned it up to 100% in a fairly dim environment it will no longer get darker than 100% unless the ambient light falls below that level.

I use this on all my devices to slightly increase the minimum brightness.

When you enable/disable auto brightness it will reset this “calibration.”