Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
How do I calibrate auto brightness in IOS 10? And is there a setting where I can specify the maximum brightness level that I auto brightness will set to an not exceed?

Reactions: jagooch

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Yep. You cannot do anything in that granularity.
I wish I could customise auto brightness but...

teddybearstand

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
Its pretty simple to set up imo; hasn't changed in iOS10. It sort of "learns" what brightness you like over time (few days generally). But if you don't like having full brightness while in a bright environment (like in direct sunlight.. which you would probably want anyways) just hold your phone in the sunlight (or directly under a light bulb) and set the brightness lower.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
How do I calibrate auto brightness in IOS 10? And is there a setting where I can specify the maximum brightness level that I auto brightness will set to an not exceed?
You can calibrate, typically by going into a dark area and turning off auto brightness and sliding the brightness slider all the way down and turning auto brightness back on. There really ain't a way to set maximum brightness though (although I guess you can sort of try the opposite of the dark calibration in a really bright area and see if that might have an effect similar to what you desire).

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I've seen a few grumbles about auto brightness on iOS 10 and I myself noticed some weird behaviour the other day when I wanted its brightness lower in a dark room and it kept going up and down after my manual adjustment. I've never really had an issue with auto brightness on previous versions, other than a few manual tweaks here and there which it respected.

Apple have definitely been making a few tweaks in this area as iPhone 7 has a new feature where the max brightness is only available when auto brightness is enabled (to prevent the v bright setting being manually and permanent set). I'd guess some of the tweaks in this area have had unintended consequences..

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Its pretty simple to set up imo; hasn't changed in iOS10. It sort of "learns" what brightness you like over time (few days generally). But if you don't like having full brightness while in a bright environment (like in direct sunlight.. which you would probably want anyways) just hold your phone in the sunlight (or directly under a light bulb) and set the brightness lower.

That's an interesting theory, so you think Apple completely changed the auto brightness algorithm this year in iOS 10 to basically adapt to the user's brightness level preference?

So if I'm in the street in sunlight, the auto brightness usually cranks up the display brightness to max brightness to compensate for the sunlight, I personally don't like that because st max brightness the device must be burning battery like crazy, so if I manually lower the brightness to say, 3/4 brightness while I'm still in sunlight, you're saying that the iphkne 7 plus will learn that I don't like max brightness when I'm in sunlight and the next time I'm in sunlight it will not crank up the brightness to max brightness like it did the first time but this time around it will crank it up to about 3/4 because it learned my brightness preference in sunlight? Have you tested this theory?

teddybearstand

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
That's an interesting theory, so you think Apple completely changed the auto brightness algorithm this year in iOS 10 to basically adapt to the user's brightness level preference?

So if I'm in the street in sunlight, the auto brightness usually cranks up the display brightness to max brightness to compensate for the sunlight, I personally don't like that because st max brightness the device must be burning battery like crazy, so if I manually lower the brightness to say, 3/4 brightness while I'm still in sunlight, you're saying that the iphkne 7 plus will learn that I don't like max brightness when I'm in sunlight and the next time I'm in sunlight it will not crank up the brightness to max brightness like it did the first time but this time around it will crank it up to about 3/4 because it learned my brightness preference in sunlight? Have you tested this theory?

This is how it has always worked. It saves what the lux is in the environment the moment you change the brightness (hence why I HATE when ppl max out the brightness on my phone when they borrow it/looking at something!).

It then extrapolates using a bell curve; the only side effect being: if you lower the top end, the lower end brightness's might be too dim.

Overall i think its worth the extra bit of battery as you can actually see the screen when in a bright environment.
[doublepost=1475449963][/doublepost]A tip is just to continously set the brightness throughout a regular day to the lowest that is usable. After a few days your brightness will be in the sweet spot.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Auto brightness must be a summer intern job at Apple. It's never worked right, and iOS 10 is no exception. When I'm in a pitch dark room, and the brightness is at 30%, that's a fail.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Auto brightness must be a summer intern job at Apple. It's never worked right, and iOS 10 is no exception. When I'm in a pitch dark room, and the brightness is at 30%, that's a fail.
Never really had that issue across a number iOS devices over the years (with occasional quick calibration of auto- brightness).

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
This is how it has always worked. It saves what the lux is in the environment the moment you change the brightness (hence why I HATE when ppl max out the brightness on my phone when they borrow it/looking at something!).

It then extrapolates using a bell curve; the only side effect being: if you lower the top end, the lower end brightness's might be too dim.

Overall i think its worth the extra bit of battery as you can actually see the screen when in a bright environment.
[doublepost=1475449963][/doublepost]A tip is just to continously set the brightness throughout a regular day to the lowest that is usable. After a few days your brightness will be in the sweet spot.

I see, s
Never really had that issue across a number iOS devices over the years (with occasional quick calibration of auto- brightness).
what do u mean by quick calibration of auto brightness? How exactly u do you calibrate the auto brightness personally?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.