Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamdman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2018
I got my new xs max today and just loving it! Dont see any screen issues and not gonna pixel peep and look for one :)

However I noticed that the screen wasn't as bright as my friends XS Max on same brightness level. Upon doing some findings I see that if I disable auto brightness then the screen gradually starts to turn more bright as the display level stays the same. Also when I drag the slider to max brightness (with auti brighness turned off) it gets very bright and is on same level of brightness as my friends max when he does the same. Now, when we both enable auto brightness both our phones display level gets adjusted to around same level (around the middle in the display bar) but his phone is much more brighter than mine for the same display level! How is that possible?

If it helps I am using the iCarez [Full Coverage Tempered Glass] that covers the entire front of the phone including the sensors and wondering if that has anything to do with this. I got it perfectly aligned and hence little hesitant to remove and test it out....

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
Andy

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010
I got my new xs max today and just loving it! Dont see any screen issues and not gonna pixel peep and look for one :)

However I noticed that the screen wasn't as bright as my friends XS Max on same brightness level. Upon doing some findings I see that if I disable auto brightness then the screen gradually starts to turn more bright as the display level stays the same. Also when I drag the slider to max brightness (with auti brighness turned off) it gets very bright and is on same level of brightness as my friends max when he does the same. Now, when we both enable auto brightness both our phones display level gets adjusted to around same level (around the middle in the display bar) but his phone is much more brighter than mine for the same display level! How is that possible?

If it helps I am using the iCarez [Full Coverage Tempered Glass] that covers the entire front of the phone including the sensors and wondering if that has anything to do with this. I got it perfectly aligned and hence little hesitant to remove and test it out....

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
Andy

When doing these tests, are True Tone & Night Shift disabled on both phones?

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010
Night shift is off and true tones are on in both phones.

If you aren’t happy with the results and can’t live with using the phone as is, then try taking the screen protector off and see if it makes a difference. That’s the only way you’re going to rule that out.

iamdman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2018
Its covering the sensor with screen protector the issue! Not sure why no one mentioned about that in the full screen protectors product review. bummer..Any good reco for a regular screen protector? I see maxboost and omotion to be good in amazon.

Once I removed the case and tried the same experiment the results are similar with auto brightness kicking in pretty good.

Thanks all for your inputs.

nlkccom

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2008
I have the iCarez 2.5D full glass and also noticed the screen turned slightly darker after I installed the glass. I just dialed the brightness a little higher. Didn’t think of it as a problem.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Its covering the sensor with screen protector the issue! Not sure why no one mentioned about that in the full screen protectors product review. bummer..Any good reco for a regular screen protector? I see maxboost and omotion to be good in amazon.

Once I removed the case and tried the same experiment the results are similar with auto brightness kicking in pretty good.

Thanks all for your inputs.
Very interesting. Too bad it didn't work out for you, but your struggles may help others who like to use Auto-Brightness (which I think is one of the iPhone's best features).

If you're after an alternative to try, give Belkin's TemperedCurve a go. It doesn't cover the sensors, & that edge just beneath the sensors isn't sharp either, so your fingers will glide over it, much like the well designed, curved edges along the sides/bottom/notch ears.

Just look for it on sale, as it's RRP is on the expensive side.
https://www.belkin.com/au/p/P-F8W867/

NewYorkRanger

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Turn off Auto Brightness, set at 50-55% brightness and you'll be fine. I haven't used auto brightness for years, no real impact to battery if you set it to a reasonable value.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.