auto brightness issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MBHockey, Jul 3, 2007.

1. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I have a question about the auto brightness feature on my iPhone. Is the brightness change supposed to be immediate? I'm not convinced that my iphone is doing the auto brightness as advertised so i wanted to hear about orhers' experiences with it.

2. brasscat macrumors 6502

brasscat

3. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

I came here today specifically in search of if anyone else was experiencing this issue. Last night I remembered that the iPhone was supposed to have an ambient light sensor. So, just for kicks I went into my study and turned all the of the lights off to see what would happen. Alas, I got nothing.

I can't recognize any discernible difference in brightness output regardless of the ambient light. I even performed a software restore thinking it may have been a software issue, to no avail. On top of that, my iPhone won't charge now!

4. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

5. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

The proximity sensor works for me, meaning when I bring the screen close to my face the display turns off, and when I take it away it comes back on, which is really nice.

I haven't paid much attention to how it detects ambient light, but it seems to turn the display brightness down when I go into the sunlight, is that how it is supposed to work? BTW, I am actually able to use and see the screen of my iPhone under direct sunlight, something that was impossible on my past 2 phones, blackberry peal and helio ocean.

6. unity macrumors 6502a

"but it seems to turn the display brightness down when I go into the sunlight, is that how it is supposed to work?"

I think you meant it turns brightness up?

The effect is not immediate, its slow-ish. That is more or less in case you cover the sensor with a finger, etc...

For me, its most noticeable when I had the phone on lock in lower light then unlock it in bright light, the screen will suddenly brighten.

7. Learjet035 macrumors 6502

I like when I go to use my phone at night and it wakes up my entire neighborhood cause it's so dang bright!

My 2G auto dim worked perfect. Hopefully a fix is on the way.

8. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

ye, ive noticed mine takes a couple of seconds to adjust to the room. it definitely does adjust.