Auto brightness issues since update

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by FX120, Sep 23, 2017.

1. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Has anyone else been frustrated by the screen brightness since the update? With my 7+ it seems like I’m having to constantly tweak with the level in command center as the auto adjust algorithm seems way out of whack compared to how it worked in iOS 10.

Prior to the update I would set the brightness where I prefer indoors and it would adjust it up enough to read outdoors but rarely max out and then would adjust back to that point when I got back inside. Now it will swing wildly between max brightness and minimum, and if I adjust it to where I want it just seems to override it with the next change in ambient lighting.

I don’t remember even really thinking about the auto brightness prior to iOS 11, now it’s not only obvious but really annoying as well.

2. Hughey79 macrumors member

Hughey79

I am having the exact same issue! Have been searching the net, youtube, etc. to see if others are or if maybe it's just me. It gets almost to dark to see like it doesn't know what to do.

3. Breezygirl macrumors 6502a

Breezygirl

Look here and see if your Auto Brightness is on. Under Settings in General, then Accessibility, and then Display Accommodations.

Attached Files:

4. Hughey79 macrumors member

Hughey79

Mine is turned on. Was 10 also. I dont like to constantly mess with the brightness toggle and the phone did a great job before 11.

I have gone in and toggled off and on a couple of times since updating and it darkens right away but doesnt light up quick more of a slow warm up at times.

5. Breezygirl macrumors 6502a

Breezygirl

I turned mine off, seemed to fix it for me.

6. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

How your battery life with it off?

7. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

It seems Apple ramped up the aggressiveness of auto-brightness (and and tucked the toggle away under layers of settings menus) in a deliberate effort to increase battery life. Which may or may not coincide with the physically smaller battery they used in the 8/8+.

8. Breezygirl macrumors 6502a

Breezygirl

To be honest I haven’t noticed a difference, but I charge my phone throughout day if I’m near a charger to keep the battery almost always fully charged.

9. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

It seems like Apple is also ramping up efforts to promote dev adoption of Smart Invert, judging by recent app updates (Twitter and Flipboard issued updates specifically citing Smart Invert support).

OLED displays provide power savings with increased use of true blacks. Again, makes sense.

10. FX120 thread starter macrumors 65816

FX120

I turned off auto brightness in the settings. Just now I had it on about 40% in the living room, nice setting and not to bright. Walked into the kitchen and it ramped to 100% from the overhead lights, so I turned the brightness back down to 40%. When I returned to the living room, my screen brightness had adjusted all the way down to zero. What stupid behavior.

11. Breezygirl macrumors 6502a

Breezygirl

With mine off it stays at whatever I set it to and doesn’t change with the lighting changes.

12. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

I suggest, turning off the Auto brightness, then restart the phone.

13. Hughey79 macrumors member

Hughey79

Mine has been restarted with it off and on. It doesnt change anything. Thinking it has to be a software glitch. See if the next update bug fix helps it.

14. neliason macrumors 6502

I’ve had problems on my iPad Air. I’ve not noticed it on my SE. THe screen will get way too bright. I tend to keep mine dim to save battery. I’ll change rooms or even move the iPad in some way and the brightness adjusts up or down way more than it used to. I feel confident in this because I never used to notice it.

15. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Does that happen with auto brightness off?

16. neliason macrumors 6502

No. It only happens with auto brightness on.

17. msvadi macrumors 6502

Same here:auto brightness is completely out of whack in iOS 11. It can suddenly reduce the brightness to practically zero under bright light, or turn it all the way up in darkness. Crazy.

I always had it on before and it worked perfectly.