auto brightness messed up in 8.1.2

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by vexorg, Jan 9, 2015.

1. vexorg macrumors 6502a

Never had a problem with the auto brightness before 8.1.2, now I find it randomly sticks at darker level.

Sometimes it'll brighten up in the light, other times it stays very dim. It only seems to stick at the dimmer settins.

The brightness level also varies for the same light conditions (same room at night, so should be constant (and was before)

Anyone else found this?

2. paulbol macrumors newbie

I have this problems as well as others that have posted in Apple support forums. I have been working with a senior adviser who has now seemed to have abandoned my case. The engineers told him after viewing a video of my issue, that the device is working as designed. I called BS, that's probably why they abandoned me The problems shows up on my Iphone 6 and my work phone (5C), both on 8.1.2.

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Works fine for me. Tune it.

1. Turn off autobrightness
    2. turn slider all the way to the left
    3. Go into a dark room
    4. Turn autobrightness on
    5. wait a few seconds and walk into a brighter room.

4. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

interesting, that should be like some kind of calibration...

5. vexorg thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've tried messing around with it to see, doesn't help. Covering the camera with your finger is enough rather than a dark room.

Just as an example, I picked it up just now, nice level for brightness. Turn off auto, turn on auto, and it goes down to about half the brightness it was. It's slightly too dim to be comfortable. I wondered if it might be a move to get a longer battery life out if it.

6. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

That's part of issue I suspect. Once its calibrated like Armen suggested above, you cant turn it off and on in varying light conditions to make it change. The trick is to set the level for the room you are in for what you want. So in a dark room, turn off, set to the level you would want it in that room lightness then turn on the switch. From then on when you are in an area at approx same it will adjust to that level. Turning the auto on and off to make it change will cause it to not work correctly and may as well just turn auto off and manually adjust as needed.

The covering with finger is not really correct either. It needs to read and adjust to the amt of light in the area you are in.

7. vexorg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yay!!! something new that I never had to do before with any other iPhone or iOS

8. sbailey4, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015

sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Oh you don't HAVE to do it. Just if you want it to function as it was intended. Its always been that way though so nothing new here.
    http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202613

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-calibrate-iphone-ipad-auto-brightness-sensor-in-ios-7/

http://lifehacker.com/5983938/fix-a...-iphone-and-ipad-by-recalibrating-the-sensors (this shows all the way back to iOS6 here)