auto-brightness not working?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jongo1, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Jongo1 macrumors regular

If I move the slider then turn the auto brightness on it pretty much stays at that brightness. If I put the slider down to nothing and toggle auto on it just stays just as dark and might change just a hair but nothing to noticeable. Does anyone else have this problem?

2. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S (64GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

When you adjust the slider, you're setting a baseline brightness for the phone. If you really want to test the auto-bright function, unlock the phone while holding above the earpiece with your thumb. This will trick the ambient light sensor into thinking the phone is in a pitch-black room. Wait a few seconds and then remove your thumb. The brightness will automagically go up, just like it's supposed to. ;)

3. Jongo1 thread starter macrumors regular

well it does change a little bit, but if i put it on full brightness it stays on full brightness if i do that test. If I put it on lowest brightness it will stay that dim. If there was a min or a max setting then mining or maxing it would have a effect. For example if it was a max setting then if i put it to full brightness then it should change the screen from all sorts of levels but instead it stays fully bright. The only time I notice a change is when its around the middle.
    I feel like it generally stays in the area of where u set the slider. So if its in the middle it will stick close to the middle setting and wont stray away to far from it, instead of a min max kind of thing for me.

4. Jongo1 thread starter macrumors regular

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Yes, that seems to be how it works.