Auto brightness not working.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macboy4, Apr 13, 2010.

1. macboy4 macrumors regular

No matter how bright or dark the environment my iPad display does NOT dim automatically... Is anyone else having this issue?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

First is it turned on? Second if it's anything like the iPhone/iPod Touch then it only goes brighter and it takes a few seconds to change or a few abrupt changes before the screen matches.

3. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

I suspect mine isn't working also. I'm not sure the best way to check this though.

4. macboy4 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, its on :) I'm familiar with the iPhone's "delayed reaction", but its not doing that.

5. macboy4 thread starter macrumors regular

I exchanged a 16 GB for a 32 and neither of them work so its not likely an isolated issue.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

One test is turn the screen brightness all the way down then take it into a dark room. Press the sleep button to turn the screen off, then again to turn it on. Unlock it, then turn on the lights in the room. If the screen brightness goes up it works. If not then something might be wrong.

7. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Just tried this.... no changes in brightness.
    Now I'm nervous.... i think my auto-brightness is not working.
    Anyone else?

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I just did this on my iPhone. It's not working for me even though my iPhone does change sometimes. So I guess my test doesn't work so well.

9. troop231 macrumors 603

Also, a piece of black electrical tape over the sensors would work pretty well IMO for testing purposes.

10. fjfjfjfj macrumors regular

+1

I was just looking at my screen and thinking how I have not noticed it auto-dim like my iPhone does and then I stumbled on this thread. Count me in, definitely not working.

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There is auto bright and auto dim. The screen should auto bright if it gets into a bright area (sunlight does not work). To make it auto dim it's a bit tricky. It will only dim the screen down as far as what you have the manual brightness set to. I found that out just now with more tinkering of my iPhone's settings.

12. fjfjfjfj macrumors regular

Look at that. You learn something new everyday. Thank you for that information, my screen is much better now. (I'm going to check my iPhone next.

13. troop231 macrumors 603

14. Skull21 macrumors regular

I don't think this is true because it never auto brights. It seems to stay dim for me.

15. iLiveUdie macrumors regular

I really do not think mine is working either...

16. MikhailT macrumors 601

Make sure you let Apple know about this so that they can fix it in the next software patch. I'm sure we'll be seeing 3.2.1 very soon for the wifi issue.

17. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

I'm on my fourth iPad, and none of them have worked.

18. f00f macrumors 65816

Not working here either. Never worked properly on my 3G iPhone either; I've only ever seen auto brightness work properly on a 3G S. Perhaps the sensors in the iPad (and the 3G) are just fail, but hopefully it's a software fail.

19. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I still think the auto features work it just that most peoe don't know how to engage them correctly. Don't forget sunlight and sodium based flouescent lights don't register with iDevices. Thus, they will not change in those conditions.

20. UCBruins macrumors member

I called Apple support about the WiFi issue, and before I got off the phone the tech asked me about the auto-brightness feature. I told him that I never once noticed it changed. He said they were gathering data to hopefully fix it with a software update.

21. custom875 macrumors member

custom875

Auto brightness has never seemed to work on any of my Iphones either.

22. erillanos macrumors member

I have seen mine get brighter in brighter rooms of the home.
    it may not always change but it has sometimes so I know it works .
    Just not properly like it should.

23. h3nG macrumors member

Mine doesn't work either...is this a problem with all ipads or not. Should i bother taking this to the genius bar? It annoys me a bit.

24. nStyle macrumors 65816