Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
How is auto-brightness supposed to work? Whether I manually set it to low, medium or high and toggle auto-brightness, nothing changes. Is this a bug in iOS or am I misunderstanding the functionality?

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I've found that the lowest you set it basically tells the ipad the darkest you want the screen to be during very low light situations. I've also noticed the change is quite gradual, it doesn't happen fast. I have mine set to maybe 15% and it works great for me.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
I've found that the lowest you set it basically tells the ipad the darkest you want the screen to be during very low light situations. I've also noticed the change is quite gradual, it doesn't happen fast. I have mine set to maybe 15% and it works great for me.

Hm, I usually keep the brightness quite high which is why I'm convinced its not working. Blinded myself in the morning when alarm went off, hah.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Try these steps out and see if they help. Like the above poster said, it gradually changes now instead of being instant.

1. Go into a dimly lit or dark room.
Launch the Settings app from the Home screen of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

2. Tap on Brightness & Wallpaper.

3. Turn the auto-brightness setting to Off.

4. Adjust the brightness slider to the level you would like your screen brightness to be at in the given environment. For instance, if you're in a completely dark room, you'll probably want to put the slider all the way to low or pretty close to all the way down.

5. Turn the auto-brightness setting to On again.

6. Now flip on a light switch.
Watch the brightness slider move upwards to adjust to the new light entering the sensor.

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Hm, I usually keep the brightness quite high which is why I'm convinced its not working. Blinded myself in the morning when alarm went off, hah.
Right. If you have the setting at a pretty high part, the iPad will never go darker than where you set it. If you put it at 100%, it will always be at 100% regardless if you have Auto turned on or off.

I basically took it into my bedroom with all the lights off and found a good level that worked well in absolute darkness and set the level there and then turned on Auto. Now if I go outside, it will go as high as it thinks it should to allow me to see it and then when I go back into a low light area, it will go as low as I set it.

Hope that makes more sense.

[EDIT] Now it's not working for me completely. The brightness will increase as needed but I've let it sit there for a good 2-3mins moving back into a dark room and it won't dim. If I lock the screen though and immediately unlock it, then it completely dims. Something seems a bit funky. iPad 4 here with latest update.

Last edited:

Fed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
Right. If you have the setting at a pretty high part, the iPad will never go darker than where you set it. If you put it at 100%, it will always be at 100% regardless if you have Auto turned on or off.

I basically took it into my bedroom with all the lights off and found a good level that worked well in absolute darkness and set the level there and then turned on Auto. Now if I go outside, it will go as high as it thinks it should to allow me to see it and then when I go back into a low light area, it will go as low as I set it.

Hope that makes more sense.

Thanks for the clarification, mate. It's working now - or, at least seems to be! All makes sense now :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.