Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nowstime

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Hi!

So far I don't have any yellow issues or signal issues but my screen seems pretty dark in a low light situation when the auto-brightness is set "on".

I have the same setting as I had with my 3G but the iPhone 4 seems much darker in low light.

When I put it under ample amount of light, the screen is bright and if I turn off "auto-brightness" the screen is pretty bright as well.

When auto-brightness is on, is it normal that the screen is dark in a low light situation?

wardev

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
Yes, this is normal, and it's good that the iphone 4 gets darker than the 3gs

bina12834

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
Yes, this is normal, and it's good that the iphone 4 gets darker than the 3gs

agreed....my 3G would still blind me in a dark room...my 4 now saves my eyes....im loving it....finally an auto-brightness that actually works!!!!

slyderulz

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2008
Hi!

So far I don't have any yellow issues or signal issues but my screen seems pretty dark in a low light situation when the auto-brightness is set "on".

I have the same setting as I had with my 3G but the iPhone 4 seems much darker in low light.

When I put it under ample amount of light, the screen is bright and if I turn off "auto-brightness" the screen is pretty bright as well.

When auto-brightness is on, is it normal that the screen is dark in a low light situation?

I noticed this while I was playing with my iP4 last night.

To the best of my recollection the 3G and 3GS were also very sensitive to light fluctuations when first released. Enough compliants generated OS patches soon thereafter that 'fixed' the sensitivity of the ambient light sensor when set to 'auto'

To be honest I tend to turn auto brightness off after I've owned any iPhone after a few weeks. I just prefer the constant image brightness. I ususally keep it at half brightness or less so battery life has not been an issue (at least not combined with auto lock set to 2 minutes or less)

13irregular

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
was just about to ask this same question. is it correct that when auto brightness is on in darker rooms the screen is much more dim as opposed to a room with more light the screen is brighter? I assume its similar to the iPad as when I use it in a dark room the screen is dim. Is this how it should be or is my auto brightness broken?

nowstime

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Glad to know that it's normal...I guess I was quite used to the 3G's auto-brightness level. Thank you everybody for answering my question~

Wykan

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2010
was just about to ask this same question. is it correct that when auto brightness is on in darker rooms the screen is much more dim as opposed to a room with more light the screen is brighter? I assume its similar to the iPad as when I use it in a dark room the screen is dim. Is this how it should be or is my auto brightness broken?

The auto brightness should adjust to the same brightness as the ambience. If in a dark room the iPhone should be dim to the level u set the minimal brightness slider to. If outdoor, it should auto adjust to brighter to match the outdoor brightness. Hope tis helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.