Auto Brightness ON or Off?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Dino451, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Dino451 macrumors 6502

Which setting is best for better battery life?

2. LordEntropy macrumors regular

3. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I thought that feature was suppose to help you save battery because it changes the brightness based on the lighting you're in. :confused:

4. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Yea if your in a dark environment it boosts the backlight=lower battery life

5. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

other way around, in sun it boosts backlight. in the dark its easier to see with a dimmer backlight.

6. TheBaldOne macrumors newbie

Is there really a light sensor on the 2G ipod touch, cuz I cant make one out on the screen on mine. I know its supposed to be just to the right of center on the upper black area if the screen (according to the cutouts in the cases I have seen) but I dont see any sensor on mine...Anyone else?

7. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

Ya there is, if you turn it on you will see it working (brightness changes)

8. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

Unless you use your iPod in mostly dark conditions leaving this feature on will save you battery life not reduce it. Think about it... Regardless if it's on or off you'll need to brighten the screen to suit the conditions your in so you won't be saving or losing anything in light conditions but with it off you will be losing battery life when going to a dark room because the screen won't automatically darken.

Personally I think it's best to leave this feature on. Regardless of whether it kills or saves battery life I don't see the point in having to constantly manually change this setting to possibly save a little battery life, not to mention the battery life and time your wasting by constantly starting the settings app to change it.

9. stevo8 macrumors 6502

I think off is best as long as you don't have the brightness turned way up.