Auto Brightness way off

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajscorpio69, Sep 24, 2016.

1. ajscorpio69 macrumors member

ajscorpio69

In a dark room, the auto brightness on my iPhone 7 dims to the lowest level which is unreadable. Under a lamp, the brightness is almost maxed, which seems normal. I know I can turn auto off, but I'm thinking I may have a defective unit. :(

2. spooned12000rpm macrumors regular

Have you tried the steps here:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202613

Auto brightness sometimes gets itself confused (especially if you've manually dragged the brightness slider at all) quite often it can be resolved by toggling auto off and on

3. ajscorpio69 thread starter macrumors member

ajscorpio69

Thank you for responding. I just looked at my friend's iPhone 7 and it completely dims in dark environment as well. Something not right with this. Hope it can be fixed in a software update.

4. Howyalikdemapls macrumors 6502

It's supposed to dim in a dark environment. If it dims too much, just slide it up a bit.

5. ajscorpio69 thread starter macrumors member

ajscorpio69

Why is that? To the point of being unusable? I'm seriously thinking of returning and going back to iPhone 6s.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Every single iPhone and iPad has acted this way. In a dark environment, it dims as low as possible. If its too low, you can turn it back up to what you prefer. There is nothing defective and nothing to fix. Its 100% normal. I have zero issues using my device in a dark room at the lowest setting. I even set up the 'zoom' trick to make the display even dimmer.

7. ajscorpio69, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016

ajscorpio69 thread starter macrumors member

ajscorpio69

Ok. Thanks for your feedback. Maybe I need glasses. I absolutely can't read text at lowest setting. No issue with iPhone 6s. Most likely will exchange for that today. I'm bummed.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2016 ---
    Apple support suggested I do a restore from iTunes. Typical response.

8. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

You just need to adjust the slider in dark conditions like others have suggested. This basically "calibrates" the auto brightness, and you shouldn't have to do it a second time.

9. ajscorpio69 thread starter macrumors member

ajscorpio69

You're correct! That did the trick. I went ahead and bought another iphone 7 at Apple today, but the screen was yellow. Fortunately, my original 7 is white, which I kept just in case. Since the auto brightness is no longer an issue, back to Apple I go. Yay!