Auto-Brightness

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mtnDewFTW, Oct 22, 2010.

1. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

I'm sure this has been asked a billion times before, but does having auto-brightness on save battery life? I usually keep my brightness below 50%. Like 40-45%. I've had auto-brightness on since day one, and I don't really mind it, but if it doesn't save battery life, I think I wanna turn it off.

Thank you!

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It is recommended by Apple, in terms of extending battery life.

Adjust brightness: Dimming the screen is another way to extend battery life. Go to Settings > Brightness and drag the slider to the left to lower the default screen brightness. In addition, turning on Auto-Brightness allows the screen to adjust its brightness based on current lighting conditions. Go to Settings > Brightness and set Auto-Brightness to On.​

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

3. mtnDewFTW thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you :)

4. mpossoff macrumors 68020

From doing some research on the net and from Apple, screen brightness is probably the the top battery drainer.

Marc

5. mtnDewFTW thread starter macrumors 6502a

So, I should turn it off?

6. speedyfv macrumors member

The auto brightness keeps my brightness low so if you want to save battery id suggest you keep it on. I find myself turning up my brightness though because the auto brightness usually keeps it pretty dim

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I find that auto brightness uses your brightness setting as a max. Mine is plenty bright and I have it set to the default or 50%.

8. kawasakirider macrumors regular

I've been using my iPhone for atleast 5 hours a day. Is it detrimental to the screen to have the brightness at 100%? Is it possible to burn the pixels?

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I keep mine at 100% (as I have with all my phones) and there's no problem. If I'm running low on battery, brightness is the first thing I cut back, but besides that...

10. rk1991 macrumors regular

i keep mine at about 40% with auto brightness. I tried using it at 50% but it was too bright for me. I dont like my screens really bright. Even on my macbook i never go past 50%.