Auto brightness

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bigstar81, Apr 6, 2011.

1. bigstar81 macrumors newbie

What should the auto brightness setting be doing when it is on?

2. bigstar81 thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I test if it is working would be a better question.

3. fpnc macrumors 68000

I believe that the auto brightness functions only momentarily when you turn on the device. Thereafter, it isn't affected by changes in the brightness of your surroundings. Thus, to test whether it is working you need to turn on the iPad in a location that is significantly brighter or darker than at some other reference point and then move to that second point and compare the brightness (without turning off the iPad). Then, turn the iPad off and back on again and see if there is a difference in the two locations.

4. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

By turning off, you mean 'lock it', right? ;)

Just use your iPad in a bright room, lock it, cover the light sensor (above the front facing camera), unlock it.
    The screen will be visibly less bright

It DOES however increase the brightness without having to have been locked

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

automatically adjusting the brightness based on the ambient lighting, i.e., auto brightness ;)

Take the iPad into a room that is brighter (or darker) and see if it adjusts.

6. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

You would think it would be common sense as to what it would do.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed - I was trying to be nice (for once). It is kind of a no brainer.

8. bigstar81 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know what it should be doing but have yet to see it do anything in 3 wks of using. Between this and the backlight bleed I am having my doubts about this device.

9. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

return it then. Don't have doubts when you spend money on something.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're not sure then return it. You paid enough money for it, you should be satisfied with your purchase

11. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

It does adjust, just like the iPhone does but not as noticeably as with a MacBook Pro etc..

12. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

If you've been using it for three weeks in basically the same lighting conditions, you wouldn't see it do much. Mine usually adjusts maybe 30 seconds to a minute after waking it, and then it doesn't adjust again, accept when there is a significant lighting change in the room. Also, how noticeable the adjustment is depends on your brightness settings. If you have base brightness relatively high, I think the adjustment is much less noticeable.

13. Miamitreo macrumors newbie

I was just thinking of this today. It definitely is not like the MacBook pro or my 3GS!!!!! I'm on the fence about how it works right now.

14. bigstar81 thread starter macrumors newbie

15. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

again, it doesn't visibly adjust the brightness DOWN when in use.

you'd be covering / uncovering the sensor with your hand all the time. (resulting in constant switching of brightness)

it does, however, turn up the brightness during use.

again: test it.

lock your device, cover the sensor, unlock it -> dim screen, remove hand from sensor, screen will get brighter after 3 seconds

16. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I believe it only takes a reading of brightness at certain times, such as when turning on from sleep, and when returning to home screen. Same thing happens with the iPhone.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

on a completely (well not complete) unrelated note. I prefer turning off the auto-brightness. I like having the brightness set and not adjusting itself based on ambient light. I find it doesn't do as good as job as I do for my needs.

18. Spooky73 macrumors member

There's no way to assign the brightness setting to the volume control or to a direct link on the home screen is there?

I find I am adjusting it a fair amount and would like to have quicker access to it...

19. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

I've never really noticed mine get darker, but I have noticed it get darker. Most specifically for me and the easiest test.. I read on the Kindle app in bed. I have a 40w bulb in a lamp on my night stand. I usually have it on, but if my husband is trying to sleep (he works weird hours) I turn it off. A few seconds later the iPad will get brighter.

The auto brightness is FAR more noticeable on the MacBook Pro. I notice it some on my iPhone4, but since the idea is really to BRIGHTEN when needed, not dim, you might be mistaken on the feature. Keeping the brightness of the screen LOWER saves battery, so that is what the devices are set to do.. and get brighter (using more battery) only when needed.

20. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

You do know it's on thep multitasking bar, right? To the left of the ipod controls.

One again, i think this is also due to the fact that you'd constantly be covering the light sensor when holding the ipad in landscape mode.
    But yeah, 'to brighten the screen when needed' is pretty much an accurate description of the auto brightness function.