auto brightness

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gelatin, Apr 8, 2008.

1. gelatin macrumors 6502

why is it when i turn on auto brightness that if i go on a website that is mainly white the screen gets brighter and if its mainly black the screen goes dimmer?

its annoying specially with the dark ones. Does anyone else get this?

on another note, my MBP went doolaly today, it was reacting really slowly to everything and the apple logo in the top corner went to a fuzzy lines like static on a tv. then my trackpad stopped working. eventually i restarted and its fine.

stil its a bit random, never had it before.

2. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

When you go to a website with a bright background, light from the screen shines onto the light sensor under the speaker grill. Thus resulting in the display brightening. Same thing when you view something with a dark background except the display is dimmed.

3. gelatin thread starter macrumors 6502

4. bcaslis macrumors 68020

The auto brightness sensor on the Penryn models (both 15" and 17") seem to be much more sensitive than earlier models. I can't type without it affecting the brightness going up and down so I've turned this feature off.

5. n8c macrumors member

I turned it off, and it is SO much better that way. What an absolutely annoying feature...

The keyboard backlighting setting is fortunately separate--still have that on.