auto brightness

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hahaland, Aug 18, 2010.

1. hahaland macrumors newbie

On my 32G iphone 4, the auto brightness option gives a very dim screen in a dark room. Tried to search a little, seems many users reported the same behavior. I wonder if this is the same to every iphone 4 out there. This is very annoying, making the phone almost unusable in dark environment.

2. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

3. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

Why is it difficult to see? The whole point is so that the screen is not too bright to damage your eyes. Also, why would you need it to be bright if you are in a dark environment?

4. cfernandes macrumors regular

cfernandes

/thread

5. hahaland thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not trying to make the screen too bright, just bright enough to see comfortably. When the room is dark, my phone screen is so dim that my eyes feel sore after awhile.

Does setting the brightness bar in auto-brightness mode affect back light behavior?

6. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Sort of.

Auto-brightness will make the screen darker by a certain percentage of the user setting. Slide your brightness bar up and it will be brighter in a dark room (although the screen will still dim).

The best part of auto-brightness on the iPhone 4 is that it can make the screen brighter in very bright light, such as in the sun.

7. hahaland thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. Will see if it helps.

8. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I've noticed on mine that with auto brightness on my screen starts fairly dim in the dark but increase in brightness to a comfortable level in a few seconds.

9. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

I know what you're saying. When I used my 3G auto brightness was always turned on. With the iPhone 4 it seems to dim the screen a lot when indoors. I keep it off now since I can't stand how dark the screen is with it activated.