auto closing preview when it has no open windows

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iansilv, Apr 27, 2008.

1. iansilv macrumors 6502a

Is there a way to set preview (or other applications) to automatically close if they have no open windows? I see no reason for word, preview, excel, pages, etc. to sit open if there are no open files being handled by the applications...

thanks for any thoughts :)

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

this is just the way OS X works. its a document and windowed based operating system. as a rule of thumb every app which can open multiple windows will not quit when you close the last window and every app that only has one window i.e. System Preferences, Disk Utility, iPhoto etc will quit when you close its window.

if you have no files or windows open you can just let the app sit open in RAM and when you want to open a file or window later on is super quick. take Photoshop for example, it takes a while to open so if you want to access a photo later on youd just leave Photoshop open.

if you want the app to quit when closing the last window/file just press "command-Q" instead of clicking the red "X".

3. jive turkey macrumors 6502

This irritated me at first too, iansilv, until I realized that I can easily keep 15 applications open without noticing even the slightest affect on system performance. I say let them all stay open, if your computer can handle it!

4. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

i have 2 gb of ram and always have 25 + apps open at once.

I've had over 90 apps open with no slowdown on speed or performance.

I wouldn'y worry about it.

--Eric