Auto-correct not working in Mail.app?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by zub3qin, Jul 20, 2011.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Has anyone been able to get auto-correct (like in the iPad/iPhone) to work within the new Mail.app? Mine seems to work in Safari, but not in Mail.app.

[​IMG]

2. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

I guess nobody is using the autocorrect feature? It is great- just like on the iPhone. But the place I type the most is in email- and it isn't functional in Mac Mail..... as far as I can tell.

3. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Solved!

Not intuitive but I solved the issue.

Within mail, start typing a new message.
    Then right click in the message window, go to spelling, and select "Correct Spelling Automatically"

It seems that even if you have "Correct Spelling Automatically" in the Mac System Preferences (under language and text), it doesn't do anything unless you do it again in the message window.

Seems like a bug to me.

4. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

5. meagain macrumors 68030

Anyone have any other methods to ENABLE auto-correct in Mail? I can't imagine Mail doesn't have an auto-correct for spelling. Mine just underlines misspelled words in red.

6. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I have found that Auto-correct, as well as a few other Lion features that you would expect to see systemwide, to be inconsistent between apps. If I had to guess what the issue(s) could be, it could that the app had an error upon launch and simply needs to be restarted or the app was not fully optimized to take advantage of Lion's features.