auto-dictation software? (from pre-recorded voice tracks)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by benji888, Apr 19, 2011.

1. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

This question has been asked by a friend:

"TECH QUESTION for you Mac geeks: Does anyone know of software that can take an audio track of spoken words and auto-transcribe it? Items such as Dragon Dictate seem to work great for spoken-word from one voice speaking into a microphone, but we're looking to transcribe tracks from a variety of digital sources---different voices, pre-recorded. Any input as to feasibility would be most appreciated. :)"

any known software or advice, other than the obvious, "try putting the mic in front of the speaker" as this is impractical given the volume of voice traffic, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. benji888 thread starter macrumors 65816

benji888

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Would I have needed to use Google for even 5 seconds if I'd used it?

4. benji888 thread starter macrumors 65816

benji888

I could use some real answers from real mac geeks please!

This is my friend's response to the above "just google..."

"Yes, I found it in my first round of research, too... but it got less-than-stellar reviews when I dug deeper."

Also, I would like to reiterate, they need one app that will work with multiple voices, various audio files, not just a single person's dictation.

And please refrain from the "just google it". This is a forum for those of us who have already googled. I would appreciate response from anyone that has used such software, made such software, or has been researching the same thing.