Auto-Dimming on iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Alchematron, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

Anyone know if auto-dimming will be on iPad?

I'm not crazy about always having to touch the iPhone screen to maintain brightness, especially when reading a book.

Hoping there is a on/off button in settings for this function.

Any thoughts?

2. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

I'd be shocked if this didn't function exactly like on the iPhone. But what do I know? :)

3. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

I saw somewhere that the iPad does have auto dimming.

edit: Here you go. Check out the iBooks guided video tour. There's a sensor that adjusts for various lighting conditions or you can adjust it yourself

http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/

4. Alchematron thread starter macrumors 65816

Alchematron

Thank you

Sure hope it maintains brightness so I am not turned into a button pushing monkey

5. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

6. poe8 macrumors member

Digging up this pre release question to ask if this isn't really working too well for anyone else. If I enter a completely dark room, it doesn't really dim. Always seems really bright. Even if i lock unlock in same room. Anyone else?

7. Skull21 macrumors regular

Same here. I just put the brightness all the way down in the settings menu.

8. J. Dub macrumors newbie

Bumping this thread back up as this place is the only link I find when doing a google search for my issues.

My Ipad doesn't auto dim for anything. Has anyone found a resolution?

9. RhythmGuru macrumors member

RhythmGuru

The only way I can get it to "work" is to lock the iPad, then unlock it, as the screen comes back on and you unlock, it "refreshes" the ambient light sensor and you should notice a dimming/brightening of the display. I don't notice that it works automagically like my iPhone.

10. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Yeah, that's what I tend to do. The brightness doesn't seem to adjust immediately, and takes a minute or two. But if you need it to change immediately, the lock->unlock step is effective.

11. Jkazmeyer macrumors regular

I've noticed that too... Since day 1. Just jailbreak for sb settings, it will let you adjust brightness easily from any app. Faster & easier then lock unlock.

12. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Or just wait one more week for iOS 4.2. :rolleyes:

13. vant macrumors 65816

I have to agree. The auto-brightness is terrible compared to the MBPs.

14. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

ScreenDimmer for jailbroken devices is awesome.

One thing you do notice on a jailbroken device is it seems like the MINIMUM iPad brightness sits at the 50% point of the slider.. might explain what you guys are experiencing.

15. Jkazmeyer, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010

Jkazmeyer macrumors regular

I'm confused as to what 4.2 is going to do to address this. My iPad is jailbroken so I won't be updating right away. I've already got multitasking & folders, what will I be missing? Game center? Yawn. Is there something else in 4.2 I'm missing? Because right now, it's not exciting me.
    Airplay seems cool, but I haven't made the jump to apple tv yet, so it's not useful to me yet.

16. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Apart from the overall snappiness of iOS 4.2 being improved from 3x; and the multitasking not lagging down the system and requiring closing apps, as all jb solutions do; and the additions of lots of little new features in system apps, like global inbox in mail, other font options in notes, etc.; most of the apps now are just instant open: they resume where you were last, without having to start over—a benefit of Apple's approach to multitasking. On a jail broken multitasking system you can get only, what; 2 or maybe 3 apps to do that at a time?

I'm surprised anyone would keep folders and multitasking on a jail broken device than have the official thing; the jb methods always felt like hacks to me, that were never as polished as when Apple does it. I guess it comes down to personal preference, but I definitely think you're going to be missing out by not updating to iOS4.2, because it really does change your world.