auto import new photos in iphoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shiunn, May 24, 2007.

1. shiunn macrumors 6502

hi ppl,
    like the title says, what should I do so that iphoto will autoimport the photos everytime I drop some new photos into this particular folder?
    or is there such a function at all?

2. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I don't think you can do this. You can in Lightroom though but you might not need that program.

3. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

lightroom? the adobe photoshop lightroom? i just had a look at it, and i think its overkill for my needs! hahah. people have been saying picassa, but i just found out that its for windows only...is that true?
    are there no other applications for my simple, pure-viewing purposes?

4. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Yep Picasa is Windows only. Are you willing to pay for a program or would you prefer freeware? Shoebox is a great program for just viewing photo's, but it's not free. Apart from importing photo's into it, you can view them by folder view (kind of like what you want)

5. numlock macrumors 68000

if you just want to import the photos into the main iphoto library than this seems like an automator task and a folder action for that particular folder

1: Find Finder items
    Where: the folder you choose
    Kind is image and anything else you might want to add (date, name etc)

2: Import photos into iphoto
    chose album you wish to import into and whether to delete the source image

File-Save as Plug-in. Choose the name of plugin, select folder action in the drop down menu and pair it with your "photofolder" and press save

Can look at something like hazel as well

6. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm, automator certainly does automate the importing, but its not exactly how to way i like it to work. It imports everytime i drop a photo into the folder - i was thinking of just import all at once when i power up my iphoto. And it reimports the existing photos in the folder. any workaround? thanks

7. numlock macrumors 68000

im not sure how to do it so it only imports when iphoto is being launched. You could have it import at a certain time each day though.

Regarding reimoprting. I would create a new folder that you you drop all your photos into. link the automator workflow to that folder (both save the plugin as a folder action for that folder and selecting that folder in the automator action) and set up a new action to copy the photo(s) to a permanent folder.

3: Copy Finder Items
    Your permanent folder.

There is another way you could add another criteria to step 1 (and completely ignore step 3) if you drop the folders on the day they are created or modified. But if you upload new pictures twice the same day you will get duplicate entries

EDIT: obviously if you chose to to setup a different folder for folder actions then you should disable the folder action for the previous one

8. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks numlock.
    but it seems there's no straightforward way to iphoto to suit my needs, which is just viewing really. perhaps i should just stick to finder.
    and yea, shoebox is somewhat the thing i need, although i haven't fiddled with it much yet.

9. Neoeo macrumors newbie

Yes, we can.

When I googled "autoimport iPhoto" this thread is returned as the first result, but it doesn't provide a satisfactory solution to the original post. Until now.
    This article from Macworld describes a drag-and-drop solution to batch-importing photos into iPhoto without repeatedly opening iPhoto.

10. ganny macrumors newbie

This looks promising. Do you think that this Auto Import folder could be saved to a separate data partition of the HD, so that when photos and videos are dropped into the folder they would auto-import into iPhoto located on the OSX partition? I would also like for the same photos and videos to import into Windows Live Photo Gallery located on yet another partition of the HD, but I am pretty sure that can be done. End result that I want is that anytime I save any videos or photos to this Auto Import folder located on a data partition, the videos and photos will automatically appear in iPhoto and Windows Live Photo Gallery.

11. pedroslima macrumors newbie

Yes you can do it in the same way, that's how I run it actually. I have one library for each year since I have over 30 thousand pictures @3.5 mb each. My Libraries became too heavy even though I use the new macbook pro. I have them on a network hard drive (that's the only reason for the delay). I did this not only to clear up my hard drive but to share the library with my wife and to be able to remotelly access it from anywhere.

The only catch is that the sparse drive has to be mounted. =D