Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeKa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Sydney Australia
Hi there,

I've just recently switched - I've bought a 17" iMac which I love!

What I want to be able to do is auto-load iCal and Apple Mail at startup. How do I do this? I've been looking for an equivalent of the Windows "Startup" folder in the Start Menu but can't find one in OSX 10.2

I'm sure there's an easy way. Can anyone help me?
Thanks,
Derek.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I dont know off hand.... but have you tried just putting a shortcut for the app in the "Startup Items" folder in the Library?

backspinner

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2002
Eindhoven
Originally posted by Chaszmyr
I dont know off hand.... but have you tried just putting a shortcut for the app in the "Startup Items" folder in the Library?
don't try to mess with that, it's for geeky system level things and not for user applications

DeKa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Sydney Australia
Thanks for your quick replies!!

I knew it'd be easy - I just couldn't find it.

While I'm at it, there are two other login items: FAXstf Toolbox and Microsoft Database Daemon (with an Entourage logo)

I'm assuming FAXstf is a Fax client? I don't use faxing from the iMac so can I get rid of that? Also, I don't use Entourage - I use Mail cos it's a smaller nicer program, so do you think I could get rid of the Microsoft Database Daemon as well?

Thanks,
Derek.

--from Sydney Australia

backspinner

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2002
Eindhoven
Originally posted by DeKa
Thanks for your quick replies!!
you're welcome!

And yes, you can get rid of the startup items that you don't like. But keep in mind that these apps maybe won't work or will bark if you start using them in the future. Unfortunately there is no way to temporarily disable these things but: you can always put them back in place yourself if you need them.

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by DeKa

While I'm at it, there are two other login items: FAXstf Toolbox and Microsoft Database Daemon (with an Entourage logo)

I'm assuming FAXstf is a Fax client? I don't use faxing from the iMac so can I get rid of that? Also, I don't use Entourage - I use Mail cos it's a smaller nicer program, so do you think I could get rid of the Microsoft Database Daemon as well?

Thanks,
Derek.

--from Sydney Australia
I'm sure you can get rid of FAXstf and you are right in saying it is for faxing...maybe it got put in there when you installed it (if you did)...nice to see another sydneysider..where abouts you from?

DeKa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Sydney Australia
Thanks everyone :)

They're removed now.
I'm in Killara mmmdreg. Where are you? What Mac do you have? I'm loving this thing so far! When I use Windows PCs at work I keep going to the left to close programs and windows - quite funny!

Derek.:cool:

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
the microsoft one is for the entourage reminders that pop open even if no ms apps are running. remove it if you dont want those reminders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.